Overclock.net banner

Important temp question

648 Views 19 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  455buick
ok, i opend my comp to look at it and i tuched a heatskin of some part that i dont know what it is, and i got burnt pretty bad on it... so im assuming the temp is to high?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

but you still shouldnt have anything running so hot it burns you... i would suggest finding a larger heatsing and fan possibly for it...

Hi Pabsil1,

I'm going to have to disagree with your statement that "nothing should be running so hot as to burn you". During tests I conducted with folks with regard to thermal burns for my company, two things became apparent. 1) Most people will feel pain or immediate discomfort at the 110 to 120degF range of heat. This equates to about 43 to 49degC. That's why it's recommended by manufacturers of hot water heaters to keep the temp below 100degF. 2) Skin reddening and blisters will occur with as little as 1/2 sec contact with a hot surface. This is why the company has chosen to insulate all pipelines, vessels, containers, etc that are in excess of 90degF, just to be on the safe side. Welders will also tell you that mild carbon steel heated to red hot, then air cooled to normal grey coloring will burn instantly when touched...
There is definitely computer parts that will run this hot. The cpu and or heatsink, north bridge, mosfets, capacitors, gpu, etc...
If Dcstegg did touch a mosfet or capacitor an immediate burn could be produced. Why they touched it 3 times I don't know...
And as Hyrox stated, many parts are still very hot even after several minutes. Some parts will even discharge electricity long after the computers been off. Another reason you don't want to mess with power supplies or monitor parts, or even TV's.

I hope it was Ok to express my opinion, :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.