Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Intel 4670k, 12 gb of ddr3. 3 ssd 500 mb/s. wx 4100 4gb radeon.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rig: 4670k 3.8 ghz turbo with 4 hyper threading threads. Over clocked to 4 ghz turbo on stock cpu cooler. Top temp is 65'C on cpu. Radeon WX 4100 4gb GDDR5 8x pci express 128 bit. Stock cooler. Runs at 80'C. Scares me. 8 gb stick and 4 gb stick ddr3 1333mhz over clocked to 1600 mhz. 3 solid state hard drives. All around 500mb/s write. V-moda headphones (studio). 23 inch Lenovo screen 1080p high dpi screen. Asus high dpi gaming mouse and Logitech keyboard.

I like gaming :p And I work and play in photoshop. With lots of layers and large resolutions. I have a gt 1030 and the card could not zoom out of 5000 by 5000 pixel count images. I had to disable gpu acceleration because I thought I was damaging the video card. But the Radeon wx 4100 wow. I mean wow. Literally night and day. I was worried I only have 12 gb of ddr3 1600 mhz (over clocked) ram. But with this gpu it's so fast. I just edited a 16 second film clip with 500 layers in 1080p and it took me 5 seconds to encode. I'm going to start working with more layers now. 2000 layers next time.
Cloud Sky Mountain Black Vehicle

I recorded the video with AMD's Pro software in 1080p. Then imported video in Photoshop CS6 limit of 2 frames. Then I saved gif at 400x300 pixels and imported gif again at 7 frames, to make 5 mb gif (originally 97mb GIF). I selected all 500 layers by using shift key on keyboard (1 to 500) and pressed control + g to make a group folder. Then I changed contrast with adjustment layer and clipping mask. And I added black and white layer with clipping mask set to Infrared. This clip was recorded while playing microsoft flight simulator 2020 near Mount Everest. Airport is roughly 400 feet long. So I had reduced fuel to around 1 minute of flight time in order to take off with a low wing 40,000 lb fighter jet.

only problem I have. Is sometimes after encoding and importing other video. Windows 10 crawls to a stop and my mouse pointer drags for eternity. Is this because I overclocked my cpu 200 mhz without adding voltage or because the stock cooler is so ineffective at cooling the gpu which causes my system to stall?

I have a tabletop fan cooling my motherboard and case. Would adding a 90mm fan behind my gpu help cool it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
4670k doesn't have hyperthreading. The rest: great story.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Oh great. I saw threads and thought it meant hyper threading. No matter. It's still very fast.
OK. If you are running 12 GB of RAM then you may be running your RAM in single channel which will limit the performance somewhat.

If you open CPU-Z under the memory tab does it say "single" or "dual" next to "channel #"?

Two possibilities: if you are running 1x 8 GB + 1x 4 GB stick then single channel is likely unavoidable.

Otherwise, if are you running 2x 2 GB and 2x 4 GB AND CPU-Z shows "dual" then that is fine. If you have four sticks and it says "single" then your RAM sticks are in the wrong slots and you can improve your performance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in cpuz it says: memory > channel> dual. And in spd it says > rank > dual. So I assume it's running both sticks of odd size memory in dual mem format?

·
Registered
691 Posts
in cpuz it says: memory > channel> dual. And in spd it says > rank > dual. So I assume it's running both sticks of odd size memory in dual mem format?
Good.

Now for the GPU, yes it is faster than a GT 1030, but are you aware that your "impressive" GPU is about half the speed of a GTX 1050Ti in gaming?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Radeon wx 4100 has more cores though. Which makes rendering video or jpg's faster. Does it not? the Radeon also uses EEC memory right? Ooh oops. Yes I'm aware that it's not faster then gaming graphics cards...

·
Registered
691 Posts
The Radeon wx 4100 has more cores though. Which makes rendering video or jpg's faster. Does it not?

Possibly better for video rendering.

As an aside, the reason why your PC grinds to a halt when doing work on it could be cooling (what are your temperatures reported as in HWiNFO64), but more likely it is simply because a 4690K is a close to ten-year old CPU with four cores that lacks hyperthreading.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a thread in amd graphics card cooling about this. But in gpuz under sensors I'm getting 80'C when under full load. And it's a 4670K cpu, not 4690k. I asked how I could cool the card better. But I can't find any information in google. Maybe because I'm stupid. That directly relates to custom cooling workstation cards like the Radeon WX 4100. No, I saw one post on another forum that showed gpu heatsink made for a gaming graphics card (amd) which he successfully installed, but the heatsink price was well over $100... And I bought this system minus the 8gb memory stick for $370 Canadian.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I made a thread in amd graphics card cooling about this. But in gpuz under sensors I'm getting 80'C when under full load. And it's a 4670K cpu, not 4690k. I asked how I could cool the card better. But I can't find any information in google. Maybe because I'm stupid. That directly relates to custom cooling workstation cards like the Radeon WX 4100. No, I saw one post on another forum that showed gpu heatsink made for a gaming graphics card (amd) which he successfully installed, but the heatsink price was well over $100... And I bought this system minus the 8gb memory stick for $370 Canadian.
Sorry for the typo, I meant 4670k, 2013 technology, 4 cores, no HT. There is no need to cool a GPU running at 80 C, they are designed to run that hot. No point in sinking money into old tech. You might as well buy a better GPU/CPU etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I followed the youtube videos on how to overclock the wx 4100. The last process contains a trojan that allows the attacker to hack your computer. I'm in the process of trying to get rid of it. The file is called atikmdag-patcher-1.4.14 and runs a trojan through windows powershell. It's called: Win32/Rescoms ... I uploaded it to virus total and saw 4 results for this trojan but thought no must be false positive. It's not. Eset anti virus picked it up and it can't delete it. Now I'm using microsoft security scanner. Maybe that will remove it. gpuz and amdvbflash_win_3.31 did do the job. But how over clocking refresh rates help with bios flashing a gpu card had me wondering, why do I need to use this program? Man do I feel dumb. Edit: I can't delete the F'n trojan.

·
Registered
3700x, 4x8GB 3200C16, x570 Aorus, RTX2070S, LG C1 | 3770x, 4x8GB 2400C12, z77-UD3H, GTX1070, VG248QE
1,268 Posts
Why respond to this thread if in the end all you meant to say is that's not new, buy new.
Not exactly what fray_bentos was meaning, he's pointing out that more money invested would be diminishing returns and better put towards more a modern platform. 80C is fine for a GPU, though you haven't listed what your CPU temperature gets to.

Loading your hardware 100% will bring responsiveness down a lot. Doing a ton of video encoding taking 100% CPU and a lot of memory can do this, nothing to worry about unless you end up freezing completely.

Can't really help with the malware, probably best to wipe and redo Windows. For any overclocking just stick with AMD's software or use MSI Afterburner.

And while haswell has had a good run, it's getting around that time where the lower hardware lines are out performing it by a lot. If you do intend to put cash towards it best to always compare with a budget modern setup.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
I followed the youtube videos on how to overclock the wx 4100. The last process contains a trojan that allows the attacker to hack your computer. I'm in the process of trying to get rid of it. The file is called atikmdag-patcher-1.4.14 and runs a trojan through windows powershell. It's called: Win32/Rescoms ... I uploaded it to virus total and saw 4 results for this trojan but thought no must be false positive. It's not. Eset anti virus picked it up and it can't delete it. Now I'm using microsoft security scanner. Maybe that will remove it. gpuz and amdvbflash_win_3.31 did do the job. But how over clocking refresh rates help with bios flashing a gpu card had me wondering, why do I need to use this program? Man do I feel dumb. Edit: I can't delete the F'n trojan.
Why are you downloading random things from YouTube? Why Flash the card? Why overclock it?

If you wanted to overclock it, not recommended, why not just install MSI Afterburner?

Re-install Windows from scratch and don't go on YouTube to download random programs. To overclock, use MSI Afterburner (but I don't recommend overclocking a Radeon Pro grade card).

• Rep+
Reactions: fray_bentos

·
Iconoclast
32,827 Posts
Two possibilities: if you are running 1x 8 GB + 1x 4 GB stick then single channel is likely unavoidable.
OP has to be running 8+4 in different channels; this is dual-channel for the first 8GiB of memory address and will be reported as dual channel. The remaining 4GiB of address on the 8GiB DIMM will be single-channel as there are no more memory addresses installed in the other channel for it to be interleaved with.

The only way to get full single channel is if the firmware allows one to disable channel interleaving, or if both DIMMs are physically attached to a single channel.

I asked how I could cool the card better. But I can't find any information in google. Maybe because I'm stupid. That directly relates to custom cooling workstation cards like the Radeon WX 4100.
As noted, 80C is entirely normal for a GPU and isn't likely to be the source of any issues. Moving more air through the case or, if you have experience doing so, replacing the TIM on the card might help reduce temperatures a bit, but anything more involved would likely be a waste of money and effort.

I can't delete the F'n trojan.
Assuming offline (booting from a recovery environment and then running removal tools) fixes don't work, it's probably time to backup what you need, wipe the system, and start from scratch. Make sure to scan your backups before transfering anything back over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the idea from a thread made here on overclock. Radeon PRO WX 5100- Naked & Unleashed | Overclock.net . Obviously you can do it for the 4100 as well. all I did was overclock the memory from 1500 mhz to 1600 mhz. I could not increase timings. I could not increase tdp or any voltage settings they simply were unclickable. All my problems started after I clicked the patch.

I raid 0 two ssd I have and reinstalled windows 10. But windows won't recognize gpu anymore. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But what really walls me is my monitor is connected to my gpu not my motherboard. And windows tells me that I'm running my monitor through my cpu onboard graphics.

I installed radeon amd pro drivers (enterprise) and instead of installing the pro software it installs the adrenaline software. How is this possible when I downloaded the pro software? Why give two different links one to adrenaline and one to pro, since pro contains both! ARRRRGGGHHH! Then when I try to launch adrenaline it won't launch.

I did install msi after burner but it would not over clock the card. Pro software allowed me to turn up the fan, and when I did the card temp went from 80'c on load to 50'c. I thought I could overclock it a little bit. And I thought since the youtube video was linked through this website, it was a sure deal. Man do I feel dumb. I should have asked someon here first other then the poster.

HD intel 4600 What the fish!
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number
I have a mini display connector connected to my WX 4100 which connects to a hdmi adapter which connects to my monitor and GPUZ tells me I'm running onboard graphics!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My stupid mind calmed down and I remembered I didn't format my boot drive and in that drive I had a bios save from gpuz. I went to their website after visiting the original trojan youtube user guy and found the flash program on techpowerup. RE: Flashed the bios and now it's working again. Err i had to change my passwords because the trojan hacked my computer after I installed windows and started to delete windows keys. Sooo frustrating. And now I've reinstalled twice again for windows. All that for a 100mhz over clock, geeez!

·
Registered
561 Posts
As a rule of thumb, never do things you are completely uncomfortable/unfamiliar with without doing your do diligence. And never bios flash a WX card with random firmware.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The thing is. Two programs came from tech power up. Which are legit and trojan free. That's what tricked me into thinking it was legit. ARghhh. The last patch was not from tech power up, and that contained the trojan. Face palm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts