Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my aunt's friend got this old laptop for free from her employer....
Its a Dell Latitude D600 (a bit old, I know)... she has offered to pay me if I could fix it, so I took her up on the offer because I thought it was a simple BIOS password that prevented the system from booting up... I took it apart and removed the CMOS battery completely and let the computer sit w/ no battery or power cable for about 5 minutes... I turn it back on to find that the password protection is still in place!!!!
Help?

Pics attached

EDIT*** Read my most recent post on pg 2

·
Registered
990 Posts
My parents' old HP clunker had the same issue. Try calling the manufacture.

In that case, we were redirected to the place where we bought it, Best Buy. They said that they don't put passwords on BIOS', but it'd cost a pretty penny to have it removed if we sent it to Geek Squad.

Try your luck

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It also says....
"Invalid configuration information - Please run SETUP program"
after the BIOS screen

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lob3s
View Post

My parents' old HP clunker had the same issue. Try calling the manufacture.

In that case, we were redirected to the place where we bought it, Best Buy. They said that they don't put passwords on BIOS', but it'd cost a pretty penny to have it removed if we sent it to Geek Squad.

Try your luck

Bahh thats what my aunt said...some guy told her that Dell could unlock it... :/
I wanted some free money :|

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Leave the battery out longer (15 minutes?) and periodically push and hold the power button for a few seconds as it sits. There's enough charge left for the CMOS not to wipe is my guess.

That or there's something weird where this password screen is the default state. I have no clue then.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Try the service tag?

***Looks like this Dell 'security system' has been cracked. There are sites advertising to crack the password for $$. Funny.
I saw many reports of there being a dedicated security chip on the board. Can you just short it?

***Are you able to get into the BIOS?

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadx;13090303
Try the service tag?

***Looks like this Dell 'security system' has been cracked. There are sites advertising to crack the password for $$. Funny.
I saw many reports of there being a dedicated security chip on the board. Can you just short it?
I could... but I would have to find it... and that doesnt guarantee it.... I tried the service tag... all I know is the name of the company that owned that laptop....they want the name of the person who registered it... their phone # and e-mail adress..... I dont have all that info and I do not think I can get that needed information

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: raidmaxGuy

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
There should be a jumper somewhere to reset the password.
It's present on my desktop motherboard, not sure if it does apply for laptops though.

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys, I may be able to acquire the information I need to talk to Dell, Rep + to those who provided documentation/videos

Edit: I will kep you guys posted on this... the lady is going to ask her boss for the information I need to start a chat with Dell support where hopefully they will give me the BIOS password for this particular laptop

I tried "Dell" and it did not work

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepahl318;13090294
I have fixed this before.
I used a CD to erase the password. It was so easy a cave man could do it.

Cant remember the software but i hit up btjunkie for XP Password and tried a few different highly rated bootable disc.

hope this helps.
Those disk aren't legal though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashblk;13136160
Those disk aren't legal though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
So?

OP has laptop, its got a password on, it needs to be removed. Who cares what method you use to get rid of said password.

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump.

Tried my hand at it again. I have found a generator but when I enter my service tag, it says "Invalid Input"

Help?

Service tag is 95QHP21-595B
I hear that the -595B lappies are harder to crack than the regular models

**Note**
I have been trying to Google the problem for ages now, if someone can just link me to a close up of the security chip on the Dell Latitude D600 with service tag ending in -595B
This is the Win 2K model

From what I am assuming, since people are saying the chip is located under the PCMCIA slot, and I found one labeled 'UPW1' Which I assume would stand for "User Password 1"
Verification?

·
Registered
13 Posts
you can look this up in google but you can actually short a couple of the pins on the board and get the password to go away I have done it many times but you must use the correct pins and be careful doing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts