Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started a couple weeks ago and I still haven't been able to figure it out. Everytime I play any game it play choppy. I can play for about a minute or two and then the stuttering begins. I've tried to see if there is an fps drop using fraps and I noticed that my fps didn't fall below 40 and was above 50 most of the time. I've tried different catalyst divers every version from 9.12 to 10.9 and I still have those problems. I've tried using Xp as opposed to Windows 7 and that did nothing. I've also tried to lower all the settings in Bad Company 2 even the resolution and the audio quality and I still get the stuttering. It doesn't seem to be a keyboard or mouse problem because the stuttering happens even while I stand still. I don't know why this started happening but it's really annoying. Any Ideas?

My specs

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHZ
ATI HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE
4GB 1066MHZ DDR2
153GB HD 7200rpm
windows 7 x86 Ultimate

·
Registered
392 Posts
try using driver sweeper to make sure no old drivers are left (if you upgraded to a 5770)but do it anyways
then install catalyst 10.9.
if the problem starts again, try 10.8 and/or any other older driver
its the only thing that comes in mind

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah when I uninstalled my ati drivers I used driver sweeper before I installed the drivers again I forgot to mention that Thanks anyways.

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
What connection do you have? Try going on speedtest.net and post your results. That happened to me once in TF2, turned out to be major packet loss

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
No no no! Driver Sweeper = problems!!

Download the latest ATI drivers again, use catalyst install manager to uninstall the current drivers, then reboot. Run the new install file, extact the files, and use the express settings. then reboot once more. That should be it.

Run CCleaner after you have done that, both for temp files/registry to see if it nabs anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is Catalyst install manager when you go into the setup file for the driver and choose uninstall? because if it is I have done that a couple of times. But I haven't run CCleaner I will do that thanks linkin.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
you're not over heating are you? That might cause it?

I had major stutter issues when I first put my last right together, and it ended up just being my HD was fragmented to hell. I ran defraggler, and it found the drive was like 23% fragmented after I installed the OS, some programs, and a bunch of games. I thought that was logical, so I defragged, and bam, my games ran smooth. Might not work for you, but just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anubis my gpu temp ranges from 71 degrees Celsius idle and up to 98 degress celsius when stressed. I don't think defraging will do much either since I recently formated the drive.

·
Registered
745 Posts
You're ping is really high. If it's that high in games too then that might cause rubberbanding.

Edit:
Also the load temp of your gpu is pretty high. Might want to try to add a fan next to the card or something to get the temp down. Or crank the fan of the card itself up if that's still possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekpill View Post
anubis my gpu temp ranges from 71 degrees Celsius idle and up to 98 degress celsius when stressed. I don't think defraging will do much either since I recently formated the drive.
If you even get stuttering in games without the access to internet, then its probably the temps that causing the throttling.

If you haven't yet taken apart your graphic card, RMA it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i haven't taken it apart. If i still can't get it to work properly I will RMA it thanks.

oh, and freaxy I think i can crank the fan up in the catalyst control center I will do that right away.

btw guys I've only tried the games I have in steam i'm downloading the Dirt 2 demo to see if steam has anything to do with it.

·
Banned
2,621 Posts
Before you RMA, click "test your custom clocks" or something like that in Cat and see what temps you get. You also want to find ways in improving your ping. It should not be more than 150, ever. Try closing background applications like torrents and stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried turning the fan up to 100% but that didn't seem to make a difference on the temperature. I've seen my card reach up to 108 but since it was performing well and had been for some time I never paid much attention to it.

oh lol Morizuno you are right I was torrenting the Dirt 2 Demo from Gamershell I forgot about that.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
woah, yeah, that definately sounds like an overheating issue, i had a 4870, and idle it was @ 45-48C load ~71-75 using furmark. The 5770 is supposed to run cooler than the 4870 I believe.

I agree that defrag doesn't help in most cases, but in that scenario, I had just formatted my HD too. It was just after the format I installed about 10 modern games, which were huge, and it fragmented my drive to hell.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekpill View Post
I tried turning the fan up to 100% but that didn't seem to make a difference on the temperature. I've seen my card reach up to 108 but since it was performing well and had been for some time I never paid much attention to it.

oh lol Morizuno you are right I was torrenting the Dirt 2 Demo from Gamershell I forgot about that.
Is the fan actually working? lol. it should make a difference when turned up to 100%, does it sound louder?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts