Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my brother about upgrading my computer again and than we started talking about the fact that my computer is never acually fully utilized, as it sits in the corner for most of the day not being used at all or just under light usage, and it would be cool to have my pc as some kind of a server to which he could connect and use it when I don't.

And I'm not looking for Steam's in-home streaming.... we have already tried that and it's not good enough.
1# when you stream to another pc you can't use the "server"
2# you can't connect wheels and things like that to use with streaming (and that is just what we need as my brother only playes racing sims and if we ever buy a racing seat and a projector I'm going to hook up my HOTAS too.)

Sooo... what am I looking for ? :
1# some kind of program that will allow me streaming (at least games, if not a full VM)
2# preferably all you need to connect to the server side is an ethernet cable (I don't want to run multiple cables like hdmi and usb and so on, because the distance is greater than 10 meters and we are not on the same floor)
3# I'm looking for the easiest way to set this up (expecting it's not easy at all )
4# the client side should be a low performance PC so that there is not much extra cost to building the server
5# I may add more of these ^ when I think of them

I've looked at unRAID that Linus (LTT) has used for their Virutalized gaming machines, but i'm not sure if it's capable of this kind of thing. Has anybody had any experiance with it ? Has anyone tried to do something like this before ? how did you do it ?

Thank you for your help and I really hope I posted this in the right forum section

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post

I was talking to my brother about upgrading my computer again and than we started talking about the fact that my computer is never acually fully utilized, as it sits in the corner for most of the day not being used at all or just under light usage, and it would be cool to have my pc as some kind of a server to which he could connect and use it when I don't.

And I'm not looking for Steam's in-home streaming.... we have already tried that and it's not good enough.
1# when you stream to another pc you can't use the "server"
2# you can't connect wheels and things like that to use with streaming (and that is just what we need as my brother only playes racing sims and if we ever buy a racing seat and a projector I'm going to hook up my HOTAS too.)

Sooo... what am I looking for ? :
1# some kind of program that will allow me streaming (at least games, if not a full VM)
2# preferably all you need to connect to the server side is an ethernet cable (I don't want to run multiple cables like hdmi and usb and so on, because the distance is greater than 10 meters and we are not on the same floor)
3# I'm looking for the easiest way to set this up (expecting it's not easy at all )
4# the client side should be a low performance PC so that there is not much extra cost to building the server
5# I may add more of these ^ when I think of them

I've looked at unRAID that Linus (LTT) has used for their Virutalized gaming machines, but i'm not sure if it's capable of this kind of thing. Has anybody had any experiance with it ? Has anyone tried to do something like this before ? how did you do it ?

Thank you for your help and I really hope I posted this in the right forum section
The "server" is just that (AFAIK), it is the server, not the client. You may be able to virtualize and create more than one VM for gaming while utilizing the steam in-home streaming software depending on your hardware. I virtualized my gaming rig but have never tried a wheel (I don't play racing sims). This may be useful to help with issue # 2: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/611701999534252158/.

You can follow LTT's video with unRAID or follow along with my build while using VMware here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post

The "server" is just that (AFAIK), it is the server, not the client. You may be able to virtualize and create more than one VM for gaming while utilizing the steam in-home streaming software depending on your hardware. I virtualized my gaming rig but have never tried a wheel (I don't play racing sims). This may be useful to help with issue # 2: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/611701999534252158/.

You can follow LTT's video with unRAID or follow along with my build while using VMware here.
Thank you for your reply, I'll check it out later today or tomorrow because I have some school stuff right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts