Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
hardware nerd
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know on October 13th, 2012 Adam Wilson, known here as Erakith, passed away at the age of 24. Adam was a genuinely good dude. I myself had the honor of knowing him quite well and found there was a hole left in my life where Adam used to be.

Adam was a reviewer for ThinkComputers.org, a fellow enthusiast, a gamer, a techie and newbie water cooler . More importantly, he was a loving husband and fantastic father of three. He originated in the UK but left home and kin for his love he found here in Michigan.

Unfortunately and obviously most 24 year olds do not have a plan in place to support those they've left behind. It is truly a tragedy. And so it would be a dishonor to Adam's memory to stand idly by and do nothing.

With the support of OCN we are starting a fundraiser to raise money for Adam's family. Won't you join me in showing that we in the computer industry, hobbyist or other, stand by those who would have stood by us?

Below is the email to OCN's PayPal account. Funds will be collected until Saturday 11-02-2013. At that time they will be presented directly to Adam's wife Jess.

[email protected]

Please use the title "In Memory of Erakith" when you send funds.

Additionally follow the link below to a giveaway contest in Adam's honor. There are prizes for the first three draws, including "Erakith, A Tribute", a full system modded in honor of Adam.

Erakith Tribute Build Giveaway

Regards - num1son
A message from Adam's family back home who have been following the threads:

Thank you to everyone for honoring Adams memory and helping his wife and beautiful kids with donations to the build, from Adams mum,dad,steph and gem back home in England.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyBushNinja View Post

I've re-allocated my raffle purchase to the donation account. Please confirm receipt.
Cheers bud. If you got the "you have sent $**.** USD to Enthusiast Inc.." message, it's gone through
thumb.gif

·
Baking Cookies
1,784 Posts
Thanks el gappo for helping num1son sort this out with the TOS! (and laws)

Question--I know normally all paypal transactions on OCN we're supposed to select "Paying for goods or services", but this isn't exactly a purchase is it?

So should we select the (seemingly more appropriate) "sending Money to family or friends"?

Let me know!

-Bonzai

·
hardware nerd
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Good stuff, I did get that. Will we get a total amount raised at the end of the donation drive?
Yes we will!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiTree View Post

Thanks el gappo for helping num1son sort this out with the TOS! (and laws)

Question--I know normally all paypal transactions on OCN we're supposed to select "Paying for goods or services", but this isn't exactly a purchase is it?

So should we select the (seemingly more appropriate) "sending Money to family or friends"?

Let me know!

-Bonzai
That's what I'm doing... after all it is a gift to family of a friend... so by my way of thinking - there's no other option. Also as we're not receiving anything in return - we aren't purchasing goods or services. Although I would lean that way regardless because I have some real problems with the way Paypal strongarms fees out of transactions that are clearly charitable gifts (i.e. first of all by removing the 'charitable gift' selection itself).

Regardless that's what I'm doing.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
sent a gift from us to show our support.

• Rep+
Reactions: evil jerry

·
Baking Cookies
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCiDAL View Post

That's what I'm doing... after all it is a gift to family of a friend... so by my way of thinking - there's no other option. Also as we're not receiving anything in return - we aren't purchasing goods or services. Although I would lean that way regardless because I have some real problems with the way Paypal strongarms fees out of transactions that are clearly charitable gifts (i.e. first of all by removing the 'charitable gift' selection itself).

Regardless that's what I'm doing.
thumb.gif
I was going to wait for a moderator response but this is good enough.

That's what made sense to me as well, just wanted to make sure. I did it that way.

Payment sent, hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Thanks guys.

And yes Bonzai, whatever option doesn't incur fees is the best route.

·
Baking Cookies
1,784 Posts
Quote:

With the amount of "In"s in the other thread, you'd think there'd be a few more people in the donation thread.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Just like the raffle thread was WAY more popular than this thread and the giveaway thread is far more popular still.

I know the majority won't donate and are just in it for the prize but hey--every bit helps!
There are still a number of people who were planning to donate and didn't want consideration for the prize when it was a raffle, so you get both.

At least it still helps potential donors to become aware of this. I don't really mind that a non-donator might win as long as a good chunk of money still arrives to help Erakith's family
smile.gif

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I win, I'll do some custom art on the side of the case and put it up on ebay. All proceeds going to Adam' family of course (minus shipping). I've lost people close to me, I'd like those kids to have as good a Christmas as possible.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
money sent
My condolence for Erakith family.
"We can't begin to imagine what you are feeling, but let us share our heart-felt condolence."
In memory of Erakith.

Also I linked it on my thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyn3t View Post

As a OP of this thread I have come to ask.

I know many of you have been great when come to help each other as we share our little that we know to keep this community great like it has been always.I have seen two great people among us leaving without saying goodbye, leaving a scar in our life's especially when come to a very close friend and family. I would ask you guys to take a moment and share your condolences by visiting this thread and donate any portion you can. you are not obligate to do it but it will help Erakith family, wife and kids.
In Memory of Erakith - Fundraiser
Erakith Tribute Build Giveaway!

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is really sad. I didn't know Erakith personally, but I understand what it's like to lose someone very close to you. I can't give much, but I will give what I can. We have such a great community here; and although I haven't been apart of it for very long, I am proud to be a part of a group of people that care so much about their fellow man. My heart goes out to Erakith's family and loved ones, and expect my donation this weekend.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts