Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm , its like this , my system restarts itself when LOADING windows xp through normal booting. Halfway, it just reboots.

However , I am able to enter safe mode and thus , am here posting for a solution heh.

Now, I have absolutely no idea what might be causing the problem but, here are a few of my guesses :

DLL problem
Pagefiling problem
Registry problem

I also did a windows xp repair ( standard procedure heh ) but to no avail..

so umm..what should I do now other than reformatting ( NOT an option , no way ! ) and surfing OC.N 24/7 lol

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
When its booting, before it shows anything about Windows, press F8 to bring up the startup menu. Select "Disable Automatic Restart". It should give ou a blue screen that will give you more info.

Also, try "Last Know Good Configuration" and just running chkdsk /r from the Windows CD.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah and its a 0X0000007E error which means I have to add more space ( I have over 20GB free and 6GB on my other partition is it not enough ??? )

and it also tells me my bios needs an update ? this is totally impossible

and now it also tells me I have to update device drivers (pfft their all up to date )

unsigned drivers is totally lame...

removing 3rd party drivers is a absolute no no

heres an insight to how it happened I guess...stupid microsoft told me I needed to pop in the install disk so I did...to install some dlls and all of a sudden this happens ...

the full code I get is not listed ANYWHERE in the internet which sucks..

0X0000007E ( 0XC0000005, 0XF6F48174, 0XF78E5D44, 0XF78E5A40 )

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks I'll go try those two now...crazy what would you recommend for a ram checker ? I only know of memtest which I did less than 2 days ago and zero errors

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, I tried lowering the clocks and trying it at stock as well, heck systems don't just break down for no reason eh ?

btw I tried disabling everything in msconfig and yeah..still same error...so heck, I assume its a corrupted registry then..how should I go about repairing it ?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I think the new UBCD4Win (3.05 released this past week) has instructions on fixing this actually (I remember looking at it at work today and thinking "wow, wonder if that works...")... I'm dling it @ home to pull up the help file...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
o_O do let me know how that works out

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liyana
View Post

o_O do let me know how that works out

OK, checked the help file, :/ looks like I was thinking about NTLDR and other errors... sorry...

You might still give it a try though... :/

From a Windows Recovery Console:

Code:
Code:
C: CD .. 
C: ATTRIB â€"H C:\\boot.ini 
C:ATTRIB â€"S C:\\boot.ini 
C:ATRIB â€"R C:\\boot.ini 
C: del boot.ini 
C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild 
C: CHKDSK /R /F 
C: FIXBOOT
If that doesn't work, hit it with a hammer...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whats that ?? I'm not too good with software stuff... >.<

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Boot from the Windows CD, and select Recovery Console.
It'll take you to the command prompt.
Then, just do each of those commands in the last post in order.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh ok I'll try that out then

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
When they talk about updating BIOS, removing 3rd party softwares... those are just advice, the actually key to resolve the issue is the error code, all the rest is just basic troubleshooting for noobs.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unstableiser
View Post

Just re-install windows? You don't need a re-format surely.

Re-installing is formating o_O

Anyawy did the Windows Recovery from above work?

If it is a corrupt registry you can try different registry fixers like System Mechanic Pro but other than that :\\

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah..like what MGX said.. I ain't gonna reformat windows ANYTIME..

nope the windows recovery didn't...ATTRIB codes seemed to have no effect..del boot.ini was access denied..and CHKDSK said that was some problem that could not be resolved

fixboot wants me to reformat so no way

BOOTCFG does nothing...

I'm really really bored right now and tempted to go read some doujins...and wait another 4 more hours till I get my WD5000AAKS from my friend ( he works in a store so I get it a little cheaper...)

and then I plan to use AHCI which I couldn't do with this HDD...and use this seagate as a backup ( what do you guys think ? )

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liyana
View Post

yeah..like what MGX said.. I ain't gonna reformat windows ANYTIME..

nope the windows recovery didn't...ATTRIB codes seemed to have no effect..del boot.ini was access denied..and CHKDSK said that was some problem that could not be resolved

fixboot wants me to reformat so no way

BOOTCFG does nothing...

I'm really really bored right now and tempted to go read some doujins...and wait another 4 more hours till I get my WD5000AAKS from my friend ( he works in a store so I get it a little cheaper...)

and then I plan to use AHCI which I couldn't do with this HDD...and use this seagate as a backup ( what do you guys think ? )

I think your best bet is to get that 500GB I think HDD and backup all your stuff and then reinstall windows

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol so your saying I should make the 250GB my main and the 500 my data ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.