Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Since i re--installed Windows 7 on my pc, I have only cores 0, 2 and 4 actives when playing The evil Within or Dying Light, for example.
Cores 1, 3 and 5 are all between 0 and 5 %.
But when I encode with Handbrake, the 6 cores are functioning !
Any idea ?
Thanks in advance

·
The Challenger
2,294 Posts
The reason why your CPU is using cores 0, 2 and 4 is because it's only using one half of the modules. Core 0 and 1 share a FP unit, so do 2 & 3, and 4 & 5. You have three FP units in total, and the game is not optimized to use more threads from a single FP unit. So the secondary cores on each module go unused.

If you don't know what a module is, you should google 'bulldozer architecture'.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About a month ago, it was working perfectly !
A game as Dying Light used my 6 cores.
Even on desktop, with a few apps like firefox and vlc, it's the same, only cores 0 2 and 4 are working !

·
Registered
799 Posts
I´m using Windows7 x64, and i recommend that you Disable "Parked Cores" in the Operational System.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I saw something like that in ressource monitor.
How can I disable it ?

Edit: i used an utility "Coder bag" to unpark the 3 cores, and now the 6 cores have same status in ressource monitor...like before, I'm pretty sure !
It seems to be a registry entry, and I just setup a new build of Windows , so it could be OK

I'll try games later and comme back after

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go6s View Post

Actually, I saw something like that in ressource monitor.
How can I disable it ?

Edit: i used an utility "Coder bag" to unpark the 3 cores, and now the 6 cores have same status in ressource monitor...like before, I'm pretty sure !
It seems to be a registry entry, and I just setup a new build of Windows , so it could be OK

I'll try games later and comme back after

Thanks for your help
Next time you install Windows, better avoid 3rd party tools and use the Microsoft fixes:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2645594

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2646060

These are for Win7. Windows Update doesn't install them. You have to save them and install them yourself. None of this will make games magically use more cores if they are not programmed to.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Glade i found this thread
smile.gif

Just installed the 2 Microsoft fixes, programs seem to launch faster
smile.gif

(or it's all in my mind)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts