Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i understand if you turn a case the one way, the air blows outwards and if you have it another way, air blows inwards. i have 5 case fans but i dont know if my fans are correctly the right way and in need of help to increase airflow. here are some pictures, thanks for the help.

Here is the side fan on the side of the PC Case.
[/IMG]

This is the fan from the side. It has been removed so you can see it better.
[/IMG]

Two fans at the back of the case from the inside.
[/IMG]

A Better shot of 'em
[/IMG]

The same two fans at the back have been photographed from the outside of the case
[/IMG]

The top of my case i have 2 fans, shot taken from the outside of the case
[/IMG]

Shot from the inside of the same fans above
[/IMG]

top 2 fans removed for better viewing
[/IMG]

shot of the case
[/IMG]

thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Most fans hav an air flow indicator on the outside with a directional arrow.
If there is no arrow, the hub side is the intake side... pic #2 that is the hub side of the fan blades of wich the air would be drawn in.
Hope that helps

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so on pic 2, air is being drawn in, thankyou.
would you rearange any of the fans for better air flow?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Also, you can tell by looking at the shape of the blade. The fan will always blow air in the direction of the concave blade side and pull it from the convex side. Another way is to simply turn the fan on and see which way the air blows

good luck

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
first of all. cable menagement is always good for increasing airflow. you wanna make it so that it's not cluttered. check out the rate my cables thread for some idea of what to do. As for the fans and the orientation of them, Think of a fan as a corkscrew scoop. it scoops the air and puches it downward. You usually have the front-most fans taking in the air and the back fans and top fans used for exhaust. You also wanna try to have 50% of the fans for intake and 50% for exhaust or there might be a slight vacuum or pressure
(nothing bad though).

Any other questions?

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for help. so i should flip the side fan so air blows inwards? it is blowing inwards right?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
here are some pics the side fans blow air in

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
the common basic is in the bottom/front out the top/rear.
But the oddity in your case, those foreward/top would likely be intakes.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
in this pic you can understand better

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Fire up your rig and feel. Or use a tissue or whatever and hold it in front of the fanblades on both sides.

*edit* dominique120: Not all cases have the same configuration.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Dremel out the grilles on your case. You'll double the air that fan is able to push through there, easily. None of your fans can run at their rated capacity because those grilles block things off...and they provide a nice place for dust to 100% block your fans.

·
Registered
119 Posts
From those pics all five fans are blowing air out. From my understanding turbulent air flow gives better cooling (although noisier) than laminar. With all fans extracting you get more laminar airflow inside case. (You get laminar air flow in front of fans and turbulent air behind) As said before flipping the side fan to blow in might help by setting up turbulance.

Also is there no front case fan probably infront of the hdd's, that should definatly be blowing in?

Cabeling does seem restrictive beside cpu especially with side fan extracting you are losing a lot of cold air there. I'd definatly try changing the top fans to intake aswell with thier position on you case. Its worth a test run and see how your temps go.

And as kimosabi said test using a sheet of paper and experiment with what works best.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
Dremel out the grilles on your case. You'll double the air that fan is able to push through there, easily. None of your fans can run at their rated capacity because those grilles block things off...and they provide a nice place for dust to 100% block your fans.
i agree. that's probably your biggest issue right now. i clipped out the intake grills on my 300 for a similar reason.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
I did the same think on my Raidmax Smilidon and there is much more airflow and less noise. Your case's fan grills look to be extra restricting. In picture 1, you are going to want to turn around the fan on the case door. You want the air to be pushing in, not pushing out.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the top side fan needs to blow in and the side fan needs to blow in. the bottom side fan blows out and the two top blow out?

should i don that and test it.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
a lot of hot air comes out of the two fans at the side back area, should i just flip the side fan to blow in?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts