Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Another question. Our fileserver (virtual machine) is running low on disk space, so I accessed the VMWare server that hosts the machine, and increased the alotted disk space by 100GB.

Windows recognizes it as a new partition. Now, I need to add that 100GB to an existing partition, but Windows Server 2003 doesn't have that capability.

Anybody know of freeware software that will do it, and that doesn't require a reboot?

What would you system admins recommend?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archangelabove
View Post

Hey all

Another question. Our fileserver (virtual machine) is running low on disk space, so I accessed the VMWare server that hosts the machine, and increased the alotted disk space by 100GB.

Windows recognizes it as a new partition. Now, I need to add that 100GB to an existing partition, but Windows Server 2003 doesn't have that capability.

Anybody know of freeware software that will do it, and that doesn't require a reboot?

What would you system admins recommend?

Windows Server 2003 has the ability, just not through the Disk Management GUI. You have to use the DISKPART command-line utility.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

---

As good practice, you should be doing this after business hours, and after you've checked you have a good backup of the data set.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I used a gparted ISO.

Just boot the VM with the ISO and do what you would normally do as if it was a real hard drive.

But of course this requires a reset.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts