Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need to increase the range of my wifi-g network....I know moving the wireless router/AP is the obvious choice, but what if that doesn't work? maybe a amplified antenna might work better.....

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
amplified...for sure, more power = better range. There are a few other things you can do as well...like try to mount the antena higher up off of the ground. You can also make a reflector out of a flat piece of aluminum foil. * Just dont bend it more than a few degrees, as you can direct Tx power back into the antenna and amplifier...its called VSWR, and it can destroy the amp. I used a flat piece, just slightly bent, and stuck it on the back of my Wi-fi dongle for my laptops. It gives me another 2-3 bars of reception on my home network and extends the range a lot farther as well. I think it just blocks other signals from 'washing' the wi-fi away...but it might actually reflect the signal better.

Maybe do some research and find out how tall to make your reflector. As size [or length] has an effect on the frequency that an antenna can Tx and Rx.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
PS.. 3db = a 50% gain or loss in total Tx power...so if you start with 2W then push it through a 3db gain antenna..you get about 5W of total Tx power at the antenna.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What router do you have? I know Belkin, what model? Routers strength varies greatly. Some routers a just terrible, so maybe just a new router would give you the range you need. Otherwise some of the Draft N routers are pretty good, but to take advantage of that you would need new adapters as well. Anyway, post back your router model, but check this site too, they have some good info:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk454ss
View Post

What router do you have? I know Belkin, what model? Routers strength varies greatly. Some routers a just terrible, so maybe just a new router would give you the range you need. Otherwise some of the Draft N routers are pretty good, but to take advantage of that you would need new adapters as well. Anyway, post back your router model, but check this site too, they have some good info:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

cheapy from walmart.....I am actually helping a friend out that wants to "lounge in the backyard".

here is the model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314006

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If they don't need omni-directional a parabolic reflector like bbonk boy mentioned would be perfect. It might require some adjusting but you can get massive a lot better reception with something like that.

Every 3db increase to your antenna, you double your range. If you don't need the 12db gain like previously mentioned makes something like this to get a few more db

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Google wi-fi parabolic reflector. I made one for my WLAN and I have a 4db increase and it reaches to the other end of the house if I point it that way, and weakens the signal outside so there is less chance of someone connecting from outside your house.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedevil
View Post

cheapy from walmart.....I am actually helping a friend out that wants to "lounge in the backyard".

here is the model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314006

I think everyone has some good ideas on increasing range, but in your situation, trying to be able to "lounge in the backyard". I don't think I would try any of these antennas or anything. I would just get a decent router. Best Buy has the Linksys WRT54G for $50 all the time, and I bet you get much better range out of that than the Belkin you are trying now. Or upgrade to something with MIMO to try and get better range/coverage. You may need a better adapter for the PC also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts