Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having problems with my video card, Black screens, freezes, weird whole screen multi color vertical lines, etc.

I sent my complain to XFX and they told me my ram may be causing the problem, my sticks are 1600 mhz 4gb X2 Ripjaws @1.5v, they told me to leave everything stock and just increase the voltage and see if that solves the problem .... my questions are the following:

Increasing the volate lets say to 1.6v do I need to change timings or keep everything the same? Timings are 9-9-9-24
Increasing the voltage to 1.6 would still let me overclock my CPU ?
Is it safe after all to increase the voltage to 1.6v to a 1.5v ram sticks?

I got all the problems with the CPU being 100% stock settings, so I dont get it why would a videocard need more ram voltage if most P67 sticks are rated to 1.5v, AMD or XFX atleast should state their cards need specific ram to run their cards

Thanks in advance, much apreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexGT;13037069
So I've been having problems with my video card, Black screens, freezes, weird whole screen multi color vertical lines, etc.

I sent my complain to XFX and they told me my ram may be causing the problem, my sticks are 1600 mhz 4gb X2 Ripjaws @1.5v, they told me to leave everything stock and just increase the voltage and see if that solves the problem .... my questions are the following:

Increasing the volate lets say to 1.6v do I need to change timings or keep everything the same? Timings are 9-9-9-24
Increasing the voltage to 1.6 would still let me overclock my CPU ?
Is it safe after all to increase the voltage to 1.6v to a 1.5v ram sticks?

I got all the problems with the CPU being 100% stock settings, so I dont get it why would a videocard need more ram voltage if most P67 sticks are rated to 1.5v, AMD or XFX atleast should state their cards need specific ram to run their cards

Thanks in advance, much apreciated.
Just drop down to 1333 for testing, keep the current voltage.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion;13037089
Just drop down to 1333 for testing, keep the current voltage.
tested 1333 and 1600 and same problem, havent touched voltage though.

anyone else had this problem with their videocard?

Edit: If I increase voltage lets say 1.55 - 1.60 do I keep current stock timings? 9-9-9-24 or ?

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MexGT
View Post

anyone?

They want you to test the system ram because bad ram can cause a multitude of problems, including yours.

When you drop the ram to 1333 did you leave the voltage on auto?
I would drop it to 1333 and manually set 1.6v for testing.

If you still have issues, run memtest, if memtest passes then your card is likely faulty.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

They want you to test the system ram because bad ram can cause a multitude of problems, including yours.

When you drop the ram to 1333 did you leave the voltage on auto?
I would drop it to 1333 and manually set 1.6v for testing.

If you still have issues, run memtest, if memtest passes then your card is likely faulty.

I didnt actually "dropped" the ram to 1333, but the system recognizes the memory as 1333 instead of 1600 and I tried both and had the same result, though I never changed the voltage still 1.5 for either 1333 and 1600, never thought of increasing it since they're rated [email protected]

the thing is that I RMA'd my card with newegg since I was still in my first month of purchase, before XFX told me about the voltage thing, but I'm getting a replacement and if the same problem is still there I want to know what tshould I do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts