Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AMD Trinity APU & HD 7000M Graphics Source
Quote:
One of the highlights of our CES trips has always been our visit to the AMD meeting space, and this year was no different. Last year saw the introduction of Fusion, the first accelerated processing unit (APU) that combined CPU and GPU cores into a single package. We found them simply amazing. This year saw a new batch of APUs that promise to be every bit as impressive as the previous year's generation.

Quote:
At resolutions of 1366×768, both the Radeon HD 7500M and 7600M are able to play modern games while maintaining > 30fps while the Radeon HD 7400M will be sufficient for pretty much all other tasks. All models support HD3D, OpenCL, UVD3, DisplayPort 1.2, Eyefinity, and power management features such as Vari-bright and PowerPlay.
I know theres already a post about Trinity at CES but this is first I seen about HD 7000M mobile graphics. Check it out...

I cant believe they got an APU that supports 6 monitor Eyefinity and 2133Mhz Ram speeds and PCI-e x16 3.0 and clock speeds up to 3.8Ghz. Amazing improvements with this APU. Its like a revolution compared to Llano.

Looks like AMD is doing very well with their APU's. Cant wait to see the reviews and benchmarks... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I was already aware that the 7000 series mobile was going to be 40 nm but was hoping it was 28nm. But this still looks really really awesome. Thats going to be insane if it is gddr5 but seeing how the iGPU uses the system RAM i do not know how that can be? But really I do not know much about it lol. I am loving all of the POSITIVE attention AMD is getting. After taking a beating (and still getting beat down to this very day) with you know what it is nice to see them once again REVOLUTIONIZING the industry yet again.

DID YOU SAY 6 SCREEN EYEFINITY?!?! DOH!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'd assume the GDDR3/GDDR5 refers to system memory of DDR2 (GDDR3) and DDR3 (GDDR5)? I expect it to still use system memory.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoler View Post

i did not know that system DDR2 was gddr3 and DDR3 was GDDR5 interesting but yes I expect that will be the same also.
I'm not 100% sure but I thought GDDR3 was based off DDR2 and GDDR5 based off DDR3, which to me makes sense if integrated GPU uses system memory.... cause then theres no real GDDR memory at all... I wonder how the speeds/latency of the ram affects the graphics power, if at all...

Edit> Just checked wiki and yea, I'm not mistaken, so this is why theres GDDR3/5 listed, because it depends on system memory used. Hope this helps any1 that was curious about that. Sheesh... gotta stop being lazy some days and just google/wiki something b4 I post heh

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I remember a while back seeing a picture of on-die GDDR5 memory from AMD on one of the threads here on Overclocked...

I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called though. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post

I remember a while back seeing a picture of on-die GDDR5 memory from AMD on one of the threads here on Overclocked...
I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called though. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
Oh? I hope this is for real and not a mistaken memory for something else. I can't seem to find anything, any1 else remember hearing this or can find the reference?

Would be interesting to see how they would do that, how much die space would be needed, the latencies and frequencies, and the amount of power/heat it uses/outputs.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Oh? I hope this is for real and not a mistaken memory for something else. I can't seem to find anything, any1 else remember hearing this or can find the reference?
Would be interesting to see how they would do that, how much die space would be needed, the latencies and frequencies, and the amount of power/heat it uses/outputs.
I cannot for the life of me remember the title of the thread, but I remember it being very vague, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

In fact, I believe it was simply a picture of a chip that was leaked from AMD. I recall speculation that there was some memory mounted on-die due to Duckie spotting what looked to be memory modules...

Can anyone recall what I'm talking about? Am I going nuts?!
redface.gif

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crust_cheese View Post

No, I don't think so. DDR3 (general-purpose RAM) and GDDR5 (graphics card RAM) are two different kinds of memory. DDR3 running at 2133 MHz isn't GDDR5.
DDR3 running at 2133 is just DDR3 running at 2133 yes, it has some changes done to it to be GDDR5 memory. Though GDDR5 is based on DDR3, its not the same as DDR3.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post

Not impressed with the iGPU. Its only capable of running DiRT3 on lowest to mid settings at best.
redface.gif
Its not just running a DX11 game, its also running HD movie on another screen, and decoding on a 3rd screen. APU that supports eyefinity up to 6 monitors and your not impressed.

If that doesnt impress then probably nothing will.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post

Not impressed with the iGPU. Its only capable of running DiRT3 on lowest to mid settings at best.
redface.gif
So.. a ~$500 laptop that can actually play dx11 games isn't impressive to you?

My, what unrealistic expectations you have
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's a great time to buy a laptop. They were horrible desktop replacements even five years ago (as I found out myself), but even $500 can get you a very good machine if it's running an AMD APU.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
$500 for a ultra slim laptop that consumes 17W and can multitask like that?

Not bad...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts