Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SSD (Crucial C300 128GB) primary and HDD (C.Black 1TB) as a secondary to store all my media.

I have turned off indexing on the SSD but left it on the HDD for faster searches.

Now a question, the indexing file is current located at C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft which is on the SSD.

Should I move it onto the HDD or keep it on the SSD? Or if indexing on the HDD really doesn't help speed, should I just turn it completely off?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same setup with the exact same SSD and a seagate barracuda 1TB out of convenience and necessity. I don't like WD even though i have a WD elements 2TB portable, but many friends have had many WDs die!

I had a PCIe RevoDrive SSD (almost twice as fast) for about a week because it was incompatible with my mobo BIOS as a boot-up drive, so now i have the C300 (less performance same price, thanks ASUS).

Anyways, turning off indexing on a mechanical drive will absolutely make it faster! Especially a full drive.

I don't see how moving the index file would make a difference. Wouldn't the C drive just create another? I could be wrong.

I'm not sure and have very little SSD experience so far, but I'm curious to see how this thread plays out......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts