Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes laptop just went and I pulled her HD. I am putting it into an enclosure to backup pictures, work, and other important files. The HD is infected and I am unsure how to introduce it into the clean system safely. I do have virus projection, but is there some fail safes I should introduce? I have windows 7 with the xp virtual machine. Is there a way I can directly connect the drive to the VM and totally bypass the main OS?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Perhaps scan and clean the drive using Ultimate Boot CD? Or you can copy files over to another drive using UBCD as well. As far as I know, this way of copying files *shouldn't infect your clean drive.

·
Registered
671 Posts
or you could put it back in your wifes laptop and the run dariks boot and nuke. should get rid of the malware, but remember it will wipe out everything including the operating system

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant do that. The laptop didnt go because of an infection. It went because the power plug went bad on the mobo.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Any chance you can boot to a live dvd of linux (ubuntu) and mount the file system and just copy the content to your destination?

It sounds more complex the it is. There are 1001 diffrent tutorials how to do it. Very short, quick, and simple..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No that sounds like a possible solution. My only question with that is there a way I could scan the files with some sort of virus protection? I figure a lot of the stuff that is important will also be infected.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef098 View Post
No that sounds like a possible solution. My only question with that is there a way I could scan the files with some sort of virus protection? I figure a lot of the stuff that is important will also be infected.
Refer to the first post in the thread after your original.
Ultimate Boot CD includes anti-virus scanning and other security software.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
A LiveCD/DVD would be the absolute best way to recover the files off the drive without getting infected as Socttsee suggested. Some possible suggestions for a LiveCD/DVD: Ultimate Boot CD, Hirens Boot CD (the legal way), Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, Knoppix, or Mandriva.

Most LiveCD's, depending on what you are using, can install a program. In Linux, one of the best file analyzers to use would be ClamAV. It is a linux native program but it can find Windows viruses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts