Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I got infected with a pretty bad virus and i can't remove it. I have tried using webroot (cost me $40) and also avg free, i have reformated 3 times to try and liminate it, I have isolated it to one of my hardrives and currently have it disconnected so it wont effect my OS again, this is a very nasty virus, it does not let you open web browsers, and basically eats my system over a short time, taking control from me. I don't know what to do, i would reformat the hard drive but it contains all my music and important files, help!
-Falven

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
omg thats crazy, i would say try malware bytes as it seemed to help me get some hard to get viruses but yours sounds a bit beyond that.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
try to safe the files and folders u need on an external harddrive or burn it to a cd.
then put windows CD in and reinstall everything
thats wat iw old to
good luck

·
Banned
285 Posts
Yeah I would do what ever it takes to back up the important files and then reinstall Windows, only way to be 100% sure!

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
download DBAN, and run the longer erase method, itll wipe the hell out of the HDD< i had to do that to my laptop because everytime i reformatted and reinstalled windows the virus was still present, I just DBANd it overnight and it was good. i believe the virus was called AntivirusPro, after every install, few minutes later the pop up would come up and the scanner with an increasing amount of "virus found" and the desktop would change wallpaper.

·
Registered
418 Posts
dude it cant possibly be a virus if you have PROPERLY reformatted the HDD it was on!! unless it was somewhere else as well, if you reformat you kill it. 100% categorically gone.

edit - do what the chap above has said, that will fully remove the virus

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
You state you cannot reformat it, but then you say you did reformat it.

SO, have you reformated it or not?

Back up all the files that you can from the drive, and then do a full format using a program like said above.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 916
View Post

DBAN took me 40 hours to format my 80gb hard drive.

lol. damn, it took me about 12 hrs to do a quick erase on a 500gb HDD, cant imagine a full erase
the laptop on full erase was like 24 hrs now that i remember, 80gb

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you guys misunderstood, I have a raid 0 setup (where i instal my os) and another HD with my music and other files (where the virus is) if i so much as connect the HD where the virus is, it spreads to my OS and basically takes over the computer, because it doesent allow me to open browsers, vene go into my "My computer" or "My documents"
so idk what to do, its 4am ive been at this since 6pm, its driving me nuts!

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by falven View Post
The virus is attached to a file in the HD, clearly, so how would i know which, especially if it replicates not to transfer to the external HD... i just don't want to have to reformat again...
Shouldn't the virus scanners tell you where the virus is?

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
So the virus is tied to a file that you downloaded to get past checks for illegal copies of Windows?

Get a valid Windows license and you won't have a problem with having to download patches that you should be able to get directly from Microsoft if your OS was a legal installation.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I got a virus from a person i contacted in a programming forum who would said he would "help me for free", his MSN is [email protected]
The windows 7 RC is out, i've been meaning to update to it, but have been super bored, so i have not downloaded it. All windows 7 copies begin shutting down every 2 hours after July 2010.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by falven View Post
No, I got a virus from a person i contacted in a programming forum who would said he would "help me for free", his MSN is [email protected]
Okay, then what is with the screenshot you posted with an arrow pointed at some file?

Is that the file he sent you?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like the virus is using autorun to re-infect your computer. Lookup howto disable autorun, then it should be safe to plug the drive into your computer and do a virus scan on the drive.

If you want to browse the drive, either type in the drive letter manually into the address bar, or right click on the drive, then select open (if there is more than 1 labeled open, do not click on any of them).

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
aww, i came to this thread hoping to see another fan of the PSP game :/

sorry about your computers infections :/
i hear clamwin is the equivalent to some strong antibacterial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts