Overclock.net banner

info about various thermal pads hardness / softness

9665 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  M4T5TR1K3R
I would discuss these which are available for me and which proven to work (cool) very good, and these are : GELID Ultimate, GELID Extreme, Thermalright Odyssey 12.8 w/mk, Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 pad.

well, I don't understand some specs about mentioned pads hardness, softness, ability to compress, adjust..
all my knoweledge about it is based on expirience with using them, but I would like to know and understand real specs about that

I will give just one example, on 3070 TI, I replaced memory thermal pads with Thermalright Odyssey. Stock pads was 2mm (I really belive I measured correctly), and of course I used 2mm Thermalright Odyssey. However, due to fact Thermalright Odyssey is harder than stock ones, I run into another one problem. Obviously cooler was not able to make proper contact with gpu chip, leading to gpu core increased temperature (memory temperature with Thermalright Odyssey really improved hugely at same time), despite fact I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste on core (X pattern). Than I used better screws (stock ones are crap really), and some tricks to increase cooler pressure, which resulted in decrease of core temperature finally. I have 0% doubt, issue was with Thermalright Odyssey hardness (or whatever it is called).

so this would be very useful not only for me, but for many other users, to understand and get info about these thermal pads properties - it is not just replace and get better cooling (of course, you get way better cooling compared to stock ones, that is out of question), but you really need to pay attention, check every pad is making proper full contact, etc.
knowing and understanding these specs and properties would be very useful

yes, it is already known for example that Gelid Extreme is more "soft" compared to Ultimate. But I would like to understand matter more and get more specs.

now, what confuses me is this : Thermalright Odyssey for example clearly state (writen on product) Hardness as : (Sc):30~55 . And density (g/cc) as 3.1

now take a look at Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 pad datasheet :

it states Hardness as "Shore 00" in value 60 (I did not found density value).

when you google about Gelid Extreme and Ultimate indeed you get Hardness stated in "00" value.

but why Thermalright Odyssey state Hardness in " (Sc) ", while others state it as "Shore 00" or "00". Does someone knows more about meaning of that?

And what about density? Does density value actually tell us also about how hard/soft/adjustable thermal pad is? Does density correlate directly to hardness or (Gelid Extreme density is lower as I found on internet, compare to Ultimate) ?

please, let us put some info and research into this, and provide at least some rought differences in specs. so all of use can know which pads is going to behave in which way under certain conditions, or better to say what we can expect when using some of them, compared to another one

looking forward to more info ;)
tnx in advance!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
So, did you end up using EC360 Bronze Thermal Pads 2mm? I have Palit GTX1070 Jetstream with 1.75mm thermal pad thickness and also wonder what to use instead of just stacking 1.25mm with .5mm pads. Thanks in advance!
yes I use those EC bronze. put some weights on card over night before tightening screws so pads compress.

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
lets continue discussion, and share our findings and expirience so far

@Falkentyne already posted link about this, and I will also post some more I found.

his link (I will link it to be more visible in recent posts) :

some of other links I found :

I was also interested to get and try Alphacool 11 w/mk2

take a look into their specs :

Hardness Highest Value (I will copy that part from link) :
Shore OO - 72 , test method : ASTM D2240
(ASKER C) - 42 , test metdod : (ISO 7619)

I get already confused. Shore 00 with 72 would fit somewhere into soft region.

not all links I provided are same. according to some, Shore C with 42 would already be about hard.

------------------------------------------------------------------

now take a look at for various EC360 thermal pads :

you can select each of these, and than go SPECS..

for example EC360 Silver, which is rated 12 w/mk (Igorslab tests however claiming from test, they are not 12 w/mk actually, but maybe around 8 w/mk). There we have :
Hardness : Shore C - 20 (ASTM D 2240). And from what I found from other users claims, they should indeed be soft. And Score C - 20 should be soft.

Take a look for example at EC360 Platinum. 16.6 w/mk. Hardness : Shore 00 - 65

now from links I posted, if I read and understand them properly, Shore 00 - 65 should actually be less hard than even Shore C 20 maybe. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm confused about this.
And it have no logic, because usually higher w/mk is tend to be more hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------

and last thing, to return to Gelid Ultimate, which claims Shore 00 - 60-70, and Thermalright Odyssey which claims some different kind of measure.

from my expirience Thermalright Odyssey 12.8 w/mk are hardest. And I don't like to work with them around core.
Gelid Ultimate is maybe little less hard, but still pretty hard. If Shore 00 - 60-70, by looking at links I provided, would indicate it is soft, that it is misleading.. They are not soft at all.

They cools good indeed, but I would like to compare them to Alphacool 11 w/mk. Sadly at moment I'm not able to get Alphacool due to shortages, all is out of stock.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.