Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tec insulating Guide
By omaryunus

Well as most of you know been working hard on my comp for the past few weeks and well Ive been insulating my board along the way… so I decided I would make a little guide out of it since there really isn’t a recent one around and I want more ppl to get into this and see how easy this is
This is more of a follow the pics of what I did more than this is what you have to do and blah blah

Well here goes:

First a list of things you need to insulate your mobo:

1)NEOPRENE!! (LOATS OF IT) just in case

2)Conformal Coating

3)Dielectric Grease

4)Silicone rubber Adhesive

5) Liquid Electric Tape

First for any good TEC block or setup you need a good… back plate

EK makes a nice one and it works perfectly

cut out a piece of neoprene to go along the back of the mobo so no air comes in there

Screws in and good to go

This is how it looks now

Enough with the backplate moving on to the back of the board

wipe the back of the board clean

now with the Conformal coating (if you have a tube this is how it will go)

here is a pic from ira-k which shows the conformal zone on the back of the mobo so this should help:

a nice thick layer of conformal coating in the conformal zone (shown above)

another view just to show you from a diff angle

and now to the front:

use the silicone rubber adhesive

heres how it starts

and done

Diff views

view from the top

and now use the Dow conformal again on the front

here is another pic from ira-k which shows you the Conformal zone

heres how it should look put it on nice and thick

Closer looks:

and well one thing which the EK backplate is not good for is keeping the neoprene down in the back so you can use some of the electric liquid tape

lifted up we need to bring it down

and down

good pic

now to the neoprene layers :d

second layer on and test fitted

ready to install the CPU

continued on next post...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

clean pins

GREASED up pins

CPU in

pushed down

repacked and more dielectric grease coming out

CPU ready and in w/ Dielectric Grease *EDIT* and pack the whole socket with dielectric grease not just the pins

Dielectric Greases the neoprene so that the second layer sticks with the first layer

Second layer on

AS ceramique on and good to go

and its installed!

now the liquid electric tape and its sealed in

and it is insulated hope you all enjoyed and learnt a lot

special thanks to ira-k for getting me into this and also for helping me sooo much through out this whole process

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Very nice guide, I'm going to sticky this, we have needed a good one.

There is one thing though, the frame that comes down around the chip and locks it, your need to put grease all around in that to..I've seen a few guys put some little thin slivers of neoprene in there, but I usually just grease it..

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
..Hey thats a good guide, I'd add that about putting grease in there, and I'll delete the extra bit...
..Thanks for making it, we've really needed a good guide here...

·
Registered
88 Posts
nice guide. I have a pase change unit running with just neoprene and dielectric grease insulation, i do not think you should insulate THAT good just for a TEC. very clean job and beautifully done.
As for your wish to bring more people to tec section... well i kinda think that doing so much work just to get slightly sub zero temps might scare some new people off to the phase change section
I would still advise either using neoprene with some dielectric grease or a gummy eraser to keep the board clean.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You forgot to mension one thing though, people should test the board with air cooling first to make sure everything is working alright, then again with all the fancy stuff, again to make sure everything is working ok at sub zero, and only then insulate.
I am speaking from my own experience, cause one day i skipped the step 2 and went on insulating, and the board simply did not like sub zero temps for some reason (temps were too high for a cold bug so i have no idea what happened), so i was unable to rma the board and had to get a new one.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by omaryunus View Post
hey i agree this is overkill but its OCN its not good unless its overkill
... but its not really slightly sub zero ira-k gets -20C load temps that is a pretty amazin temp

I don't get that kind of temp's...
..I idle from -30 to -25C and load around 6C...

We actually have to proof better for TEC and chillers then phase or DI/Ln2, our temp's swing up and down constantly and it produces a lot of condensation running 24/7. $20 bux and a half hours work isn't really that big deal to do it right. I' don't mind volting mine to death, but I'm not going to kill it with water if I can help it...

EDIT^^^Thats a good point, I run mine for a month or so on water before I proof...I didn't do that on a Asus once, I was lucky they let me RMA it anyway..

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by teatchme View Post
My board that did not work under subzero temps was an Asus (nforce) 780i...
Mine was a Asus 590 AM2, it wasn't the cold with it, the v-reg's kept going out, I had to RMA twice to get a good one..I think it was Duke here that had the same problems on his AM2 Asus.

I'm going to have to try a TEC on it, I just tossed it in the closet after I ran it for a bit to make sure it was a good one..

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Great guide man.....it makes me want a TEC.....believe me I've thought about it

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,996 Posts
Wow thats a ton of help to someone (me) that knows very little about TEC..

Ira has helped me a bunch with a lot of noob questions also...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by omaryunus View Post
see were already getting new ppl here
yay
and very true but this isnt a guide to TECing its more just about insulating if you want me to make a whole guide then i would include all those tips thanks for looking everyone!

Cool huh...
...If you wanted to do a step by step with pic's we could sure use one, I have been planning on making one for over a year now..
..I cant help it, I love playing with this stuff, but when it comes to sitting down and doing the text and pic's and all that I just wimp out..

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha I can do that... well Ill need some time to do it but for now this will be it maybe in a month or so ill do it with my MM build coming up... so maybe wait a few weeks and I will have that up

EDIT:

@I AM TEH LAW GIVAH

This is so that you do not create condensation on your mobo when doing sub zero temps...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Excellent guide
. I've always wanted to see the whole process but only will normally see the beginning or the end. Great job. +Rep.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts