Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 1163 Posts

·
A title was here
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robalm;14723924
A bios question:
I have bios version: 1502, should I flash to the latest bios before I overclock?
Might as well, just hope your power doesn't cut out mid-flash.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Great guide!!! One of the best, simple, concise, efficient guides for Overclocking sandybridge I have seen. + rep to you my friend

One quick question and a recommendation

Question: what is the reasoning behind the two p95 tests you have selected? What makes these more effective than the others? This is the first guide i've seen mention using the custom settings as opposed to the standard blend.

Recommendation: for completeness I think you should make mention ofxthe cpu configurations on the next tab that include eist, c1 and c6 reporting even if you didn't change these settings. It seems every other guide mentions them and if yours doesn't your just going to be bombarded with questions aboutxthem in your thread.

Once again bravo!

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by robalm;14723924
A bios question:
I have bios version: 1502, should I flash to the latest bios before I overclock?
Well I flashed to the latest bios and my pc failed to boot first time...lol so I reverted back to 1502, and its fine now. btw 1502 is the latest official release bios for the p8p67 pro, as apposed to all the others which are beta release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bce22;14724286
Great guide!!! One of the best, simple, concise, efficient guides for Overclocking sandybridge I have seen. + rep to you my friend

One quick question and a recommendation

Question: what is the reasoning behind the two p95 tests you have selected? What makes these more effective than the others? This is the first guide i've seen mention using the custom settings as opposed to the standard blend.

Recommendation: for completeness I think you should make mention ofxthe cpu configurations on the next tab that include eist, c1 and c6 reporting even if you didn't change these settings. It seems every other guide mentions them and if yours doesn't your just going to be bombarded with questions aboutxthem in your thread.

Once again bravo!
cheers for your kind words! As for the P95 tests, these two are amongst the most difficult to pass during the standard blend, and munaim along with others have recommended to have these passed and out of the way as a quick way of gettting your overclock stable.

As for the c1e recommendation, I will post my settings for that now
thumb.gif

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;14724454
Well I flashed to the latest bios and my pc failed to boot first time...lol so I reverted back to 1502, and its fine now. btw 1502 is the latest official release bios for the p8p67 pro, as apposed to all the others which are beta release.

cheers for your kind words! As for the P95 tests, these two are amongst the most difficult to pass during the standard blend, and munaim along with others have recommended to have these passed and out of the way as a quick way of gettting your overclock stable.

As for the c1e recommendation, I will post my settings for that now
thumb.gif
Thanks for the fast reply! I fail for taking my eyes off of the sandy stable club.... Teaches me a lesson.

I will actually be checking my oc based on your settings and recommendations. My p8p67 pro needed to be rma'd for a bad pcie slot and its being delivered tomorrow. Then it's back to work
wink.gif

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;14720484
For Asus 1155 mobo's leave spread spectrum enabled.
On my ASRock Extreme4 Gen3, when I left spread spectrum enabled CPUZ was reporting ~98.00 for my base clock, and I was having trouble reaching 4.3GHz, spread spectrum disabled and cpuz reads 100MHz with more stability/higher clocks.

You just have to experiment. SB is so different, illogical to overclock compared to my Thuban (sig), which was actually, contrary to popular myth, far easier to overclock than my 2500k!

...just didn't overclock as far, but then 45nm...

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bce22;14724585
Thanks for the fast reply! I fail for taking my eyes off of the sandy stable club.... Teaches me a lesson.

I will actually be checking my oc based on your settings and recommendations. My p8p67 pro needed to be rma'd for a bad pcie slot and its being delivered tomorrow. Then it's back to work
wink.gif
excellent, like others have mentioned one settings might work, others might work differently for other people, you just gotta experiment. But most if not all the settings I mentioned should work fine.

Stuff like cpu spread spectrum might work/might not for you, but see how you get on tomorrow anyways!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;14724893
excellent, like others have mentioned one settings might work, others might work differently for other people, you just gotta experiment. But most if not all the settings I mentioned should work fine.

Stuff like cpu spread spectrum might work/might not for you, but see how you get on tomorrow anyways!
biggrin.gif
So I've been thinking (I'm sure you can smell the smoke from there) about this custom p95 testing. Does any data exist showing the likely hood of the custom 15 minute per test pass against a 12 hour run?

In English, if i pass the customs I have an vis-a-vis 70% chance of passing a blended 12 hour? If this data exists that would be amazing that they found the tests that can shorten the stress testing time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Ok
biggrin.gif

I had a question more: should we leave everything on the "DRAM Timing Control"
on auto?

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by robalm;14725334
Quote:

Ok
biggrin.gif

I had a question more: should we leave everything on the "DRAM Timing Control"
on auto?
Like I mentioned in first post, I would personally set everything in ram as it should be as per your memory sticks label, I.e 7-8-7-20. That way then you won't have a stable CPU overclock and try set your ram to normal specs and find it's all unstable. So I would set the ram timings and voltage manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bce22;14725155
So I've been thinking (I'm sure you can smell the smoke from there) about this custom p95 testing. Does any data exist showing the likely hood of the custom 15 minute per test pass against a 12 hour run?

In English, if i pass the customs I have an vis-a-vis 70% chance of passing a blended 12 hour? If this data exists that would be amazing that they found the tests that can shorten the stress testing time.
There is no data afaik, it's just these two tests are considered amongst the hardest to pass on p95, I have had several overclocks fail during overnight testing down to these fft number tests, and if you have a look on the last 10 or so pages in the 'sandy bridge stable club' you'll see other stories about failing on these two particular numbered ffts aswell. So if you can pass these, you are more likely to be able to pass an overnight blend test

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thanks for posting this link in my thread here. I have very limited settings, but I'm making some progress since I found where you listed that Current setting in the OP of your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;14698786
CPU Current Capability - 140%
thumb.gif
Is this the same thing as on my board where it says, "IA Core Current Limit (AMP)"? My stock setting is 98. Does that mean I can set that at 140% or 138ish safely?

IMAG0429.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Im not 100% sure about that setting, you might need to look in your manual. Basically it gives the cpu extra power under load, if you can find it try increasing it yeah. Its the AMP name that is making me unsure.

Sorry about that

·
Registered
15 Posts
How come you leave CPU Spread Spectrum enabled? You're the first person I know that recommends this. ;O

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the past posts. ;P

@Below: I agree.

Can the OP please explain why things like Spread Spectrum and C1E are enabled when the majority of the other guides say to disable them? I know you've explained a couple of times in the past few pages but the explanations were pretty vague. Just wanna clear something up before I actually enable them. ;P

·
Registered
453 Posts
Really great guide here, but I do have a tiny bit of criticism. I am a beginner OC'er so I have no idea what most of these settings do. I've read through the entire thread and there seems to be a general consensus that some settings need some explanations. The reason being, they're either not often recommended or they are debatable. I've been following quite a few other guides and almost all of them rarely mention the tweaking of settings outside of the multiplier and vcore. Maybe 1-2 sentences explaining what the setting does? I just fear that some of these settings are ones that not everyone would feel comfortable going with and if someone were to blindly follow this guide down to every setting without research, they might regret it later (since all chips are different some settings could do damage even though it works fine for another).

For example, I had no idea what CPU Current Capacity did. 140% (which is the max on my Asus board) seems like a lot. I'm hesitant to set it this high without knowing what its doing. Or the LLC setting - which seems like most people don't recommend changing until you step into the 4.6ghz+ realm.

Anyway, it's still a really solid guide. I don't mean to be offensive or anything just wanted to let you know what I thought from a beginner's point of view!

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop;14727322
Really great guide here, but I do have a tiny bit of criticism. I am a beginner OC'er so I have no idea what most of these settings do. I've read through the entire thread and there seems to be a general consensus that some settings need some explanations. The reason being, they're either not often recommended or they are debatable. I've been following quite a few other guides and almost all of them rarely mention the tweaking of settings outside of the multiplier and vcore. Maybe 1-2 sentences explaining what the setting does? I just fear that some of these settings are ones that not everyone would feel comfortable going with and if someone were to blindly follow this guide down to every setting without research, they might regret it later (since all chips are different some settings could do damage even though it works fine for another).

For example, I had no idea what CPU Current Capacity did. 140% (which is the max on my Asus board) seems like a lot. I'm hesitant to set it this high without knowing what its doing. Or the LLC setting - which seems like most people don't recommend changing until you step into the 4.6ghz+ realm.

Anyway, it's still a really solid guide. I don't mean to be offensive or anything just wanted to let you know what I thought from a beginner's point of view!
yeah no worries fstop, sounds good.

As for knowing what things do, CPU Capability increases the 'total current power' available to the CPU, more power means better chance overclock will be stable. LLC reduces vdroop, which is the drop in amount of vcore you have when going from BIOS into windows. You need to change the level of LLC to macth the amount of vdroop your geting, but ultra high seems to be most applicable for most users.

Basically you probably could get away with just changing one or two settings, but thats not likely to work when going for a high overclock, say over 4.5ghz mark or so, so I put these settings in to prepare people for that overclock and it basicaly means theres less headache changing less settings further down the line!

I hope that makes sense

·
Registered
852 Posts
and yet, there's my OC, which hardly resembles this guide. not a criticism of this guide, but just another case of the lack of a one-size-fits all approach. my settings are 100% stable for 4 months now. all i've done is flash to newest BIOS when released. i'm at 4.7GHZ and 1.33vcore

some of my settings that differ from this guide:

LLC: Medium
Voltage: Offset +.035 (i've been able to lower this with every BIOS update)
CPU Current Capability: 100 (default)
C1E: enabled
C3: disabled
C6: disabled
Spread Spectrum: disabled
Phase Control: Optimized
Duty Control: TProbe
All other CPU voltages are left at default setting
RAM voltage is at rated XMP profile

now, with these settings, my overclock is rock solid. so why is that? the more guides like this that i read, the more confusing it all gets! arrrg!

but hey, without jacking this thread, i hope that someone may be informed by my post. thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
well, i stopped stress testing 2 months ago, but a fairly typical Prime Blend, Small fft, and whatever else that little program has. Intel Burn Test was only useful to see how hot i can get the thing.
I usually left Prime on before i went to work, so 10 hours minimum.

But, another program that i believe should qualify for stress testing is for video transcoding. It's called Cineform Neoscene...WOW, that program really heats things up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB4UGO;14727620
and yet, there's my OC, which hardly resembles this guide. not a criticism of this guide, but just another case of the lack of a one-size-fits all approach. my settings are 100% stable for 4 months now. all i've done is flash to newest BIOS when released. i'm at 4.7GHZ and 1.33vcore

some of my settings that differ from this guide:

LLC: Medium
Voltage: Offset +.035 (i've been able to lower this with every BIOS update)
CPU Current Capability: 100 (default)
C1E: enabled
C3: disabled
C6: disabled
Spread Spectrum: disabled
Phase Control: Optimized
Duty Control: TProbe
All other CPU voltages are left at default setting
RAM voltage is at rated XMP profile

now, with these settings, my overclock is rock solid. so why is that? the more guides like this that i read, the more confusing it all gets! arrrg!

but hey, without jacking this thread, i hope that someone may be informed by my post. thanks.
Wait, using offset kept your CPU voltage at 1.3? When I use the Offset option, my voltage shoots up to 1.46 for 4.6 GHz. xD

·
Registered
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InediblePi;14727717
Wait, using offset kept your CPU voltage at 1.3? When I use the Offset option, my voltage shoots up to 1.46 for 4.6 GHz. xD
well, i believe that's why i have my LLC set to medium. most people say High or Ultra High.

i went thru all the LLC for my offset, and Medium gave me the lowest stable voltage.

21 - 40 of 1163 Posts