Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 1163 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Having difficulties overclocking up to 5Ghz, any tips?
Tried pretty much everything that was in the OP but no luck.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It might just be that your chip might not be able to get to 5ghz? Keep increasing vcore until you can run p95. There isn't really any magic setting, either you will be able to boot and fail during stress testing, in which case tweaking with voltages will help.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;14728540
It might just be that your chip might not be able to get to 5ghz? Keep increasing vcore until you can run p95. There isn't really any magic setting, either you will be able to boot and fail during stress testing, in which case tweaking with voltages will help.
I've had the chip at 5Ghz, although only during bench runs.
It requires too much voltage, so I was thinking about if there were any other options that I hadn't tried that could bring the voltage down to bearable levels.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,681 Posts
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1973980

this is what happens when I try and take my 2500k to 4.2. there must be some setting in the bios i goofed up. I followed these steps exactly from a bone stock setting. the only thing I changed is the multi from 4.8 to 4.2 because of my shoddy cooling situation for the time being. i used "two cables" template, followed those steps exactly from a stock setting. Idk anything about intel, this is my first intel chip since high school. is there something I missed ? Does the i5 cut down on the overclocking when it's in a near idle state ? thanks for your help guys.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/1012874-official-asus-p8p67-p8z68-series-owners.html
the steps I followed are here, about half way down the page.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Awesome guide for us beginners, perhaps if I get a 2600k ill look back, but im more inclined to wait it out, hopefully you make another guide for Ivy bridge CPU!!

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devvfata1ity;14747707
any idea about the temps I am getting? During prime95 i get 67c on the hottest core but during normal operation (read lots of gaming) I get 60-61C on the hottest core. Are these temps ok? I am at 4.5ghz - 1.30v. My ambient is ~27-28C. Room is non AC
Those temps are fine. Pretty respectable in fact. Very few programs heat a CPU like prime95.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwiley;14746262
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1973980

this is what happens when I try and take my 2500k to 4.2. there must be some setting in the bios i goofed up. I followed these steps exactly from a bone stock setting. the only thing I changed is the multi from 4.8 to 4.2 because of my shoddy cooling situation for the time being. i used "two cables" template, followed those steps exactly from a stock setting. Idk anything about intel, this is my first intel chip since high school. is there something I missed ? Does the i5 cut down on the overclocking when it's in a near idle state ? thanks for your help guys.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/1012874-official-asus-p8p67-p8z68-series-owners.html
the steps I followed are here, about half way down the page.
Thats your cpu downclocking at idle, try turning off speedstep and c1e. It should stay at your overclock speed now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devvfata1ity;14747707
any idea about the temps I am getting? During prime95 i get 67c on the hottest core but during normal operation (read lots of gaming) I get 60-61C on the hottest core. Are these temps ok? I am at 4.5ghz - 1.30v. My ambient is ~27-28C. Room is non AC
There not bad, could be better for sure. I think your hot ambient probably isnt helping. For reference I get just a couple C more during my p95 and thats at 1.4v.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L D4WG;14747849
Awesome guide for us beginners, perhaps if I get a 2600k ill look back, but im more inclined to wait it out, hopefully you make another guide for Ivy bridge CPU!!
Yeah i definitely plan on getting IB when its out!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathtrip2k;14749349
ok i have a question, if i set my vcore to 1.4 with LLC level 5 i get 1.404v in windows. And if i set my vcore to 1.45 without LLC i get the same. Does it matter if i set my vcore in bios to (let's exaggerate alot) 1.7v aslong as its within the safe volt in windows?
If you set your vcore to 1.70, in windows it might drop to 1.684/1.690 for instance with a good LLC setting, but it wouldnt stray too far from your setting in bios. However, you go by what cpu-z says in windows, the actual volt is what you see in windows, not what you set in bios due to vdroop and the loss of voltages to prevent the cpu from being overvolted when under load.

On a side note you say you set your vcore to 1.40 and you get 1.404 in windows with LLC, but without LLC you set your vcore to 1.45 and it drops to 1.404?

Surely you have misread that? Ive not heard of such a big vdroop, a couple of incremements is expected (like 1.410 to 1.405/1.400, but not 1.450 to 1.400)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I only want to overclock to 4.0Ghz, is it really necessary to change all those settings? I have never overclocked my CPU before, only have experience overclocking my graphics card, so changing settings around in the BIOS and all that has me nervous.
Quote:
Intel Virtualization Technology - AFAIK This is only necessary for [email protected] on a 2500k
I have a i5 2500K, what does [email protected] mean?

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, and I have liquid cooling for my CPU so i'm not too worried about temps getting too high. I might actually go for 4.5Ghz but even then, do you still recommend changing all those settings or is that best for the people who want 5.0Ghz? Quite a few guides I have read suggest all you need to do is change the multiplier to 45x and then the vcore to 1.35v and then keeping dropping your vcore until it becomes unstable, any thoughts on that?

Thank you for your time, just trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can before my computer arrives hehe.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado;14716474
Using this guide showed me the 4.5 OC I thought I had stable actually wasn't, It's now rock solid.

I get the feeling it's going to be extremely tedious to go past 4.5 with 100% stability.
This is why you get a higher-quality board with better VRM's.
I'm at 4.5GHz w/1.32v and I pretty much just guessed everything. Its 100% stable too - I'm sure I could go higher without much trouble
smile.gif

41 - 60 of 1163 Posts