Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a while ago i told some one you can put cuts on a cd from the center out and it will still work so im going to see what other type of abuse you can do to them before they stop working. i will do different tests at different times and i will try to think of more tests to do. please suggest tests to me as well. if disc looks different in any way i will also post pictures. i am also testing using ubuntu 7.04 and with Sony CD-R discs

i will be filling the disc up with different types of media too so i can make sure i can read the disc. i have 106 items, totaling 657.2 MB. by the way if there is any one that thinks that these are light scratches they are not. i use an exacto knife to make them. they are deeper then any scratch i have seen on a cd with even the worst of scratches.

screen shot of a few random files i burnt to the disc

to test this i will burn several identical cd's and do different things to them.

blank disc and burnt disc pictures these will be my control
blank disc

burnt disc

First Test:
for this on i will be re testing putting cuts from the center of the disc to the out side.
4 cuts and the disc worked fine

8 cuts and the disc worked fine

and as they do in myth busters i went to the extreme with 36 cuts the disc did not work

Second Test:
this will be cuts made to follow the curve of the cd.
i got some interesting results on this test.
1 curve cut and every thing was fine

4 curve cuts and everything was still fine i could read all the data

now this is where it started to get strange i added a few more curved cuts and some of the videos became unreadable. the music files and pictures and word documents seemed to be fine

now i went overboard with this on and got some more interesting resultes. the disc was still readable. with the randomness of the cuts when they are curved it still leaves uncorrupted data. all videos were ruined. and most of the songs were too. a few pictures were ruined but all the word documents were fine.

now i have a theory why i got the results i did between curved and straight cuts. the curve cuts left room for the disc to be read so not all the data was ruined where with the straight cuts the almost all the data was hit so the disc could not be read. but it is only the smaller files that can be read because they are the only ones that fit in the space not cut.

Third Test:
will be keeping a cd in the freezer.
well the extreme cold did nothing to the cd. it still reads fine.

Fourth Test:
will be using a heat gun to show the effects of extreme heat.

well i have some good news for you all. heat does not seem to affect cd's i used a heat gun on a cd and it got the disc hot enough to where one small square of the top cover where the data is started to peal up but it did not affect the overall experiment. so what i can see is that only prolonged heat exposure will effect the cd.

part two of forth test:
left in direct sunlight.

Fifth Test:
submerged in water.

Sixth Test:
color disc from outside in to see where it stops reading.

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
Fifth Test:
Throwing them up in the air and shooting them with a shotgun.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
From the inside out cuts are probably the least destructive, so long as there are not too many or too deep (one of the reasons your supposed to wipe CD's from the inside out). Circular scratches do a good job of ruining the disk. Never heard of the freeser deal. So long as it warms back up, no problems. If still cold when put in, condensation can form and keep it from being read.

My favorite is still the microwave.....

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
lol nice tests. You should also try with audio CD's because most players will just skip over an error with a little pop or crackle, so it takes way more damage before it's considered ruined.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36 View Post
lol nice tests. You should also try with audio CD's because most players will just skip over an error with a little pop or crackle, so it takes way more damage before it's considered ruined.
hmm interesting i might have to do that as a part 2.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
You know how when the driver reads a disc, it uses the red laser, but the laser doesn't move up and down to read the whole CD, right? Though, that's what I believe.

Try filling up the disc with data and give thin full circular scratches from the edge and then keep moving toward the middle.

See where data start to get corrupted.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by endo View Post
i would but i dont have a microwave to ruin.
Toaster? Oven?

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by endo View Post
i would but i dont have a microwave to ruin.
It doesn't ruin anything. If you watched that episode on mythbusters you will see that the microwave endured CD's and even a ball of aluminum foil for 5 minutes straight. I've done it myself in about 3 microwaves as well.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36 View Post
It doesn't ruin anything. If you watched that episode on mythbusters you will see that the microwave endured CD's and even a ball of aluminum foil for 5 minutes straight. I've done it myself in about 3 microwaves as well.
so if it blows up will you buy me a new one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.