Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Business wise, maybe since the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality comes in. But for us home users so far it's great. I actually have people coming into my store looking forward to the 7 upgrade when they buy a computer.

Quote:

Just a day after analysts predicted a dominant future for Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system (due this October), a new report suggests that up to 60 per cent of all companies might be hesitant to make the upgrade from Windows Vista and XP.

The IDC Win7 forecast discussed yesterday painted a pretty picture indeed for Microsoft, suggesting that 75 per cent of all corporations would ditch XP and Vista for Windows 7 by 2011, just two years after its release. Given that most business users are XP users, that's good news for Microsoft.
ScriptLogic Paints Different Picture

However, another group of analysts, ScriptLogic, doesn't share the same opinion.

In fact, in their survey ScriptLogic found that just 60 per cent of corporations would make the shift within the opening period of Win7's availability. Another 34 per cent said they'd eventually move over to Windows 7 by the end of next year, but even that number is in doubt. (Source: pcworld.com)

Given that Windows Vista is considered by most businesses to have been Microsoft's great 'Vistake,' it means that the decade-old Windows XP is most likely to be large and in charge even two years after Win7's release.
Who to Trust?

And so, 24 hours after a report suggested that Windows 7 would completely dominate the operating system market of businesses, many insiders have jumped back on the nay-sayer bandwagon.

TG Daily blogger Wolfgang Gruener recently speculated that the ScriptLogic report, in conjunction with news that Microsoft Office 2010 will be free in an attempt to rival Google's online doc popularity, is evidence that Microsoft is on shaky, unknown ground. Gruener believes this could mark the beginning of a devastatingly difficult period for the Redmond-based firm, which desperately needs a strong showing after the misery that was Vista in 2007. (Source: tgdaily.com)

Good reports, bad reports, they all add up to one conclusion: the world will be watching as we approach October 22.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
I don't see many companies upgrading from Vista, but if they're still running XP, I could see the 7 upgrade sometime this physical year or early 2010. I also can see them getting the upgrade to 7 if they're buying renting entirely new hardware.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Title is misleading.

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
For most businesses excel and microsoft word it all they need. My work has windows XP on their computer, and I can't see them transitioning to anything else for a long, long time. Until the computer brakes and the cheapest one to replace it has another operating system. I think for most businesses the same idea applies.

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdo124
View Post

Title is misleading.

How so? It basically says ScriptLogic survery thinks win 7 is doomed which is what the article is about. It is also the title from the website.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Windows 7 isn't that good, allot of games and programs I use allot that worked on XP dont work in 7. I wish I hadn't installed the RC im going back to XP once it expires. Ive had to many BSODs to count in 7 its garbage.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80
View Post

How so? It basically says ScriptLogic survery thinks win 7 is doomed which is what the article is about. It is also the title from the website.

How does that mean it is doomed>??!!!
Instead of 75% of companies switching over in the first two years, script logic says only 60% will switch... That’s still a high number, which no one can be sure of until actually sales data is released AND, you don't even know how many companies that is to begin with,... It makes no sense to says it's doomed ... Especially since this is just the corporate America we are talking about
Think about it

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i still use a 6 year old pc at work (not for my lack of trying to break it to get a new one) and the new ones we have just gotten are windows xp based and they will not be replaced for 3-4 years and i know we are not going to upgrade them to 7 without replacing them first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post
Windows 7 isn't that good, allot of games and programs I use allot that worked on XP dont work in 7. I wish I hadn't installed the RC im going back to XP once it expires. Ive had to many BSODs to count in 7 its garbage.
why dont you go back to xp now? nothing is stopping you

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Funny, I haven't had a single BSOD on the 4 computers I installed Win 7 on.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

I've had ZERO bsod's, and have had Win 7 RC installed on five different computers since it was released, one of which is a dell 667mhz pIII with 256mb of ram.

Win 7 is my favorite OS of all time, including Linux and OSX, both of which I use regularly at work.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtarmanrob View Post
i think im gonna hold off on Win7 until i feel like i need it. not coz im worried about it, coz im confortable with Vista and have been for the past 2 years or so that i've had it.
I am a Vista fan, so win7 was an easy sell to me.

TBH though, if you already have Vista, win7 isn't all that big of a change. The leap from XP to win7 is huge though.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

I have had alot of program problems in Win 7 but not BSODs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.