Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The Open Source Data Center Initiative wants to pool engineering resources that others can build on and implement

A new industry group is trying to apply open-source principles to the design and construction of data centers, which it says could accelerate the use of new technologies and increase competition in the industry.
SOURCE
By James Niccolai

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Oh!

Thats pretty nifty, my buddy sells equipment to the university, Maybe I should check this guy out =)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
This would be a great idea. Several of our customers look for information and resources like this and in the end they do their own design and it usually differs from everyone else. Things like power plugs, cable colors and routing are things that can be done in a common manner (mostly) and would also help those of us who are tasked with finding and fixing problems in data centers.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I know most data-centers in my area (Saint Louis, Missouri) always complain about each place being drastically different in layout and design from one another.

Half the problem for my area is that some building are renovated from old factories and such. And some are newer buildings.

But this would greatly aid businesses around here. More so for the Techs from Dell & HP (the two big server providers around myself) getting things done.
If every data center has the same uniform layout, there will be less time spent trying to analyze for upgrades and such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts