Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windows 10 creators update, latest update. I have all the drivers updated as well.

By infrequent, I mean this happens 2-3x per 2hrs of gaming. It's not enough to be a serious issue, but it's still annoying. I kinda wish it happened more, because then it would be easier to troubleshoot. The buzzing isn't always accompanied by a frame rate spike. Also, I was watching a movie last night and the audio buzzed once while watching a 2hr movie. So it can happen under high and low load situations.

I haven't ran across anything via a search where anyone else had a problem with infrequent audio buzzing. So basically, I've gotten no info from the internet on how to fix this.

Also, this issue never happened prior to installing the creators update. I'm thinking this is some really bizarre driver related bug that nobody else has.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x @ 3.9ghz
GPU: GTX 1080ti
Ram: 16GBs DDR4 2933mhz

Looking for serious suggestions on how to fix this issue.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was using realtek audio. So I hooked up my old monitor which can use Nvidia HD audio, and plugged in my speakers to the monitor and the issue persisted. I switched out the speakers, and the problem may have gone away, but more testing is required.

Could there be any settings in windows that could cause something like this across 2 separate audio drivers? Because if it's not speakers, then I'm at a complete loss as to what's going on here. And will probably give up and just #dealwithit unless anyone has any suggestions.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Turns out the culprit was pretty much what I expected - A really bizarre driver related issue that nobody else has.

I ran latencymon in the background, and waited for the buzzing noise. The culprit was storport.sys. More specifically the SATA/AHCI controller in the device manager. I had the AMD controller installed, and the Creator's update most likely screwed it up. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the default Windows driver. Haven't had the buzzing audio since. Really bizarre issue. Never seen anything like it in my 20+ years of using PCs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts