Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
So you’re a conservationist, eh? Can you prove it? Can you stop washing your hands before this fish runs out of water? For his appropriately titled Poor Little Fishbowl Sink, designer Yan Lu created a very direct incentive to minimize water usage â€" when you turn the faucet on, the water level in the fishbowl decreases. It reminds us how precious this resource is, and how our everyday actions can affect the creatures around us. It also reminds us of our childhood pet goldfish, aww. Read on to learn more about this fish-traumatizing faucet.
(...illustrated here)

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Pretty cool if you like taking care of a fish, I guess...

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
The amount of water on the planet remains mostly the same. The water I'm using to wash my hands will end up back in my tap within the week, filtered and good as new.

Not. Interested.

·
Pew Pew
1,102 Posts
Quote:
dirtdiver says:
September 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm
It would be an amazing trick to pull on an obsessive-compulsive handwashing PETA member.
Made my day.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post
Rofl, the water isn't taken from the fish bowl so both are separate. In other words, you use MORE water per second by using this so unless you drastically reduce the time it takes to wash your hands you are using more water than necessary!
...if you look at the diagram there's a reservoir in the base of the sink..you're not recharging the reservoir with fresh water every time.

How would you change the water in the bowl though if it stays in the reservoir?

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
...if you look at the diagram there's a reservoir in the base of the sink..you're not recharging the reservoir with fresh water every time.

How would you change the water in the bowl though if it stays in the reservoir?
Either way, it's using more water. You eventually have to replace the fishes water. Noble intentions, bad ideas.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Here's my take on it:

Conservationists need to start conserving their oxygen intake because the rest of us are being robbed.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Pretty cool if you like taking care of a fish, I guess...
Kewl Idea, but the fish will die with the lack of dissolved oxygen (unless it is outside and is always windy).

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
This is neat. Doesn't even need to have a fish in it, or be shaped like a bowl. Just having a visual indicator of how much water you're using should help you conserve. I think most people would want to avoid losing too much water. Kinda similar to greed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post
Either way, it's using more water. You eventually have to replace the fishes water. Noble intentions, bad ideas.
Nooope... you don't change fish tank water too often. Even though it consumes more water, the water you would save by closing the tap earlier would almost certainly exceed the increased use of water. And if you already have an aquarium, just move your fish here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
I'd rather wash my hands properly, calmly, without getting a stroke, and stay sickness-free this Winter.

Not to mention the extra resources used to build and ship those expensive, fragile sinks.
You can wash them as calmly as you like. Just close the tap while you're using the soap, then turn it back on to wash it off. The idea is to make you close the tap.

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
Don't regular people use something like 15% of all fresh water used, with the rest going to industrial or agricultural?

I'd imagine that it'd probably be more beneficial if the Ag industry was forced to make better water choices.

*Note for the reading comprehension challenged*
I am not saying to cut off water that we need for crops, I'm saying that changes in Ag could be made to conserve some of the water that otherwise might be wasted.

·
Iconoclast
30,611 Posts
Want me to save water?

Give me an ancient 7 gallon flush toilet. These "water saving" toilets that have to be flushed between every half-turd, each individual sheet of toilet paper, and table spoon of urine, do not save water. 1.6 gallons per flush, multiplied by six flushes every time I take a dump is not economy, it's stupidity.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Want me to save water?

Give me an ancient 7 gallon flush toilet. These "water saving" toilets that have to be flushed between every half-turd, each individual sheet of toilet paper, and table spoon of urine, do not save water. 1.6 gallons per flush, multiplied by six flushes every time I take a dump is not economy, it's stupidity.
Man, you gotta fix the size of your poop then.

Or get the old school toilets back. I'd be a happy camper too with the old school toilets - way better.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Here's my take on it:

Conservationists need to start conserving their oxygen intake because the rest of us are being robbed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by downloads_plz View Post
I literally hate the person who invented this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Want me to save water?

I'm starting to enjoy the news section again

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I bet this is how everything went down:

Inventor: I got the perfect idea! Let's perpetually torment a fish in the name of "saving the planet!"

Investor: BRILLIANT!

·
Registered
381 Posts
What happens whenever you inevitably do take too long to wash your hands once? Fish deprived of water and just flops around? Also, I wonder if the fish would be included with the purchase of the sink. It's the dealbreaker imo. And what if the fish got dirty and needed to be rinsed, would it matter then if I took my time and carefully cleaned him up, since after all, he won't be in his bowl-o'-terror?

Answers are required.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts