Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just designed this system around these requirements: no budget and best system possible. I really want to overclock the living daylights out of this system. I believe that I have it down, but am unsure of a few things and I know no other place better than here to get input!

Mainboard: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX
Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz BE
Graphics: CrossfireX SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2)
Memory: I'm undecided what would be best, I had initially thought about two Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 4G (2x2GB).
HDD: RAID Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM SATA
PSU: ABS Tagan BZ Series 1300W ATX12V / EPS12V
NIC: Killer NIC M1
PhysX: Yes or No?

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

For Processer cooling I want to use the CoolIT Freezone Elite and for graphics cooling I want to use a CoolIT Freezone Elite but with the 4870x2 blocks. As a little test of skill, I want to get a PowerMac G5 case and mod it to fit all of this. Suggestions, comments, questions, concerns? Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by n34starman
View Post

I just designed this system around these requirements: no budget and best system possible. I really want to overclock the living daylights out of this system. I believe that I have it down, but am unsure of a few things and I know no other place better than here to get input!

Memory: I'm undecided what would be best, I had initially thought about two Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 4G (2x2GB).

For Processer cooling I want to use the CoolIT Freezone Elite and for graphics cooling I want to use a CoolIT Freezone Elite but with the 4870x2 blocks. As a little test of skill, I want to get a PowerMac G5 case and mod it to fit all of this. Suggestions, comments, questions, concerns? Thanks!

I would wait a month or two til Core I7 prices and cheaper mobo's come out and pair that with the 4870x2, and if you still want your Phenom, those prices will drop too so you could get all of it cheaper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm... No thanks to Intel.
Intel

·
Registered
256 Posts
i would say wait for deneb. theres a lot of talk that these denebs processors are going to be pretty sick. They r due out either late this month or sometime next month. And if you really can wait til february, then the AM3 socket mobos will start coming out. The denebs will work in AM3 sockets or AM2+ sockets which i believe ur mobo is already. thats my opinion

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the video on AMDs website about the "Shanghai" and "Deneb" processors. It said they were slated to be released for the 2nd 1/4 of '08. I really can't justify getting the "Deneb" right away anways because right now the top of the line Phenom is @ 2.6 (rumored stable @ 3.2) but figure the Deneb is still a quad-core but who knows at what speed. If it was like Phenom it was @ 2.2. I know the "Shanghai" and "Deneb" are 45nm but I'm not sure what that means.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Most of the specifications are great except for the following:

Sound: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude or Asus Xonar D2X
PhysX: NO
PSU: Corsair 1000W
Memory: you might have problems with 8GB in Dual Channel because it will cause instability or likely down clock it to unacceptable speeds.

·
Registered
227 Posts
do not get that stupid nic card. save yourself the money and put it towards something useful. hell man, any nic even the 30$ intel ones would help you but any of the processors today roll just fine without nic cards.

better yet, instead of the nic card. get the cheapest processor you can buy that isn't a sempron and see how far you can push it to keep yourself busy for the lulz. (i think 60$ for some x2's) then get deneb when it comes out. that to me is a better allocation of the funds you had planned for the nic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seriously..

Listen to me...

DO NOT GET THAT ABS/TAGAN PSU...

Not only is it overkill that you do not need.. They are piles of dog crap and totally useless for high end motherboards.

I have had two.. They do not provide the correct flavor of current and you may very well be stuck in RMA hell for months...

--

That NIC card is totally useless..

and so is that Physix card..

On board sound is very good.. and an extra card is not really needed, although I would stay away from any of that Fatality crap..

Just for the fact that every time someone spells that name with a "1" in it they look like a total tool..

The days of stand alone sound cards is ticking to a close...

8 gb of ram at 800mz is awesome no matter what you are told here..

but you have to run only 4 gb in two channels if you must have 1066 speed..

===

I totally agree with your Mobo selection.. I just had to get one of those ASUS over the DFI DK 790FXb

The Asus is a much much nicer board.. and it is layed out much better then the DFI..

Naturally the 4870 is nice..

As for Power Supply.. I would get the Antec Signature series 650- If I were you.. or if you must have more .. the 850...

They are the best PSU's made right now.. There are a few others that are also very good...

Just not a TAGAN piece of ****...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vi3t_boy
View Post

looking good. just go for it. I hate playing the waiting game.
edit: I would say no on the physx.

I will agree. I have 2 9800 GT's in SLI and I got a lower 3dmark06 score with PhysX enabled. So my opinion would be to not buy something strictly on the basis of having PhysX.

·
Registered
816 Posts
lol
last time i checked, Physx won't work on ATI cards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xobile133769 View Post
lol
last time i checked, Physx won't work on ATI cards.
There's a troll in every hole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts