Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello oc.net!! First off i want to give thanks to everyone. I have been on this site for a while the last couple of months reading review after review after review, and I would be lost without you all. This community is too awesome not to be a part of it. This will be my very first intel build (sorry amd, had to jump ship) and will be my first attempt at oc'ing. So i'm sure more questions are to come. But thought I would get everyone's input on some of these decisions before i press that buy button.

i5 2500k
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Crucial M4 CT128M4
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 Cas8 (2x4GB)
SLI GTX 580 1595 (price has dropped to $549.99 on newegg)
Dell U3011
cm 690 2 case (was real pleased with the 1st gen 690 on my last build)

~sadly the ram and gpu's are out of stock on newegg at the moment.

I'm a little confused on a psu. I've read several threads saying an 850w would be plenty but maybe i should bump up to a 1kw for room to grow. What do you all think?

Cooling is another story. I've had my eye on the H100 or the Antec KUHLER 920. I don't like the idea of having to open my case each time just to change the fan speed on the H100 though. I'm on that edge of going with a full water pump but I have never attempted a water build before and wouldn't know where to begin.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Spent a lot of time on these decisions and i'm ready to press that buy button. Thanks again to everyone. Wouldn't even be this far if it wasn't for this site.

~Chris
thumb.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call. Probably should of added that. Pretty much just gaming (bf3, skyrim, swtor, my growing steam collection) and your typical media stuff. I can count on one hand the amount of times i ever do any type of encoding during the year. And the software i use for work is Packet Tracer, so nothing too demanding there. Just want an awesome gaming rig haha
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Ram welcome to OCN I was actually in the same boat as you just built a new rig as of last night no less... at a 4.8 OC for the 3960k. Link In there is a bit of insight on what you would need to do with a custom loop set up.

Depending on what your plans are in regards to OCing the GPUs 850w will be just fine. If you do OC the GPUs (nice but not really needed if you are SLIing 2 580's) then I'd opt for the 1kw PSU.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Seems like a solid build. Why not just add 16GB of RAM for future-proofing as I don't think it will be that much more? Then again you may be better off sticking to 8GB for overclocking issues.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think it's a solid build and you know what you want to do with it. Stick with your PSU and Ram they'll be fine for what you're doing. If you SLI later it might need a better PSU but right now not needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips. I like the way you think, joshd. That little devil on my shoulder does keep bugging me to go 16GB haha. I didn't even think about 2x8GB sticks. That will be something to look into. And thanks to Border201 for the link.

I plan on going SLI right of the bat though. Might just go ahead and bump it up to the 1kw psu. Not like this rig is on a budget
devil-smiley-019.gif

·
Registered
298 Posts
H100 is far better than the 920. Cools much better in push-pull
850w is recommended for sli. you really only need about 750w, but the psu is easily burned out at high levels. 850w is plenty for sli.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Alright first off, I would not even get the GTX 580 for this build. You are using a U3011. which is a very high res. So 1.5Gb of VRam will not do it for you at all.

I will get the new 7970 with 3Gb of Vram which is plenty for that res. Trust me, 1.5Gb will bottleneck you in certain games at that resolution (eg: BF3). Plus 1GPU > 2GPUs all the way.

Power Supply. Corsair AX850 - enough for GTX 580 SLI / 7970 CFX.

For cooling, personally I am on the verge of upgrading from a H80 to a RX240. The H series are good coolers without a doubt, but I think that value-wise they are quite poor, considering they are not as good as a Rasa Kit, and just a bit better than a air cooler like the D14.

I would get the RX240, if you can. If you do it right, leaks are quite hard to get. Actually, it is harder to get leaks den not have them from people's opinions.
A D14 is a nice silent cooler that stood the test of time or if you want you can get a H80, if you are going to get a H100, I would rather you spend a bit more and get a Rasa kit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod84 View Post

Sloppyjoe, aren't the 1595's 3GB GPU's? That's what i was planning on getting.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130751
....there's the link.
Also, where would you recommend one of those RX240 kits? I'll have to read more about them if that's what i decide. I'm a total newb when it comes to water coolers.
There are a number of different Rasa kits. There is a rs240, rs360, e\rx240, and rx360
The 240 may be internally mounted (not sure) and the 360's I'm pretty are have to be externally mounted. the rs has a simple radiator and the rx has a thicker radiator do dissipate more heat.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c321/s1310/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Cooling_Kits_-_Brands-XSPC_Water_Cooling_Kits-Page1.html

·
Banned
1,868 Posts
Drop the GTX 580's and go for CrossfireX HD 7970's. On a full water loop you will see close to rumored "Atomic" core clocks of 1.3Ghz. Well worth the switch even if you are a Nvidia fanboy or not. Even without liquid cooling the performance of them are just superior at around 10-20% increase at stock over the GTX 580, and $30+ cheaper each card.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Which ever you decide Ram go by this rule of thumb: 120 Rad per item being cooled plus add 1 extra for the overall loop. So if you went to water cool both GPUs then you'd need 3 120 rads (1 for CPU 2 for the GPUs) and 1 extra for a total of 480 rad. You can break down the rads into 120 blocks but try to make sure that they are installed over vents (if internal) that draw air into the case. You'll get your best cooling from that set up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't planning on doing any water cooling with the gpu's. Probably just the cpu. Thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts