Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft cracks down on modified Xbox 360s

Quote:
USERS WHO have modified their Xbox 360s might be finding that the machines they paid for suddenly don’t work.

Microsoft seems to have been searching its Xbox Live subscribers to find those who have dared to improve their Xbox 360 consoles and is pulling the plug on them.

OK the 'improvements' do allow users to play pirated games, but Vole seems to be trying to stop software pirates by clamping down on the hardware that they have actually paid for.

The bans enforced are reported to be permanent, with no method available to contest the decision through Microsoft.

It is the second time that Vole has had a go at purging the mods from its life. The first Night of the Long Knives took place around the Halo 3 launch. This purge appears to be connected to the release of Gears of War 2.

What has freaked the modders is how Vole actually knows their consoles have been modified. On various modder forums, users have claimed that they had made numerous efforts to avoid detection through the use of hardware and software based 'stealth patches'.

A few users claim that they had disconnected their network cables while playing 'backed-up' copies of retail games, but were still switched off. µ
Source

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
how in the hell can they make it stop working when they have no connection to the outside world?

im claiming bull**** on that claim.

Edit: - Osh- its the inquirer...I've only seen one true story in their mag (only reason I KNOW its true is because it was about my dad and the security work he did in Branson, MO.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
IT'S YOUR XBOX, YOU CAN MOD IT HOW YOU WANT!

stick with Steam.

just wait until games for windows starts noticing when you've used a friends cd to play through single player and they:

disable your account for not buying it

disable your friend's account for sharing

disable the game (Multi and single player)

Edit: i think it means they unplugged the internet, played a hacked game, then plugged it back in. the xbox could have flagged it as ripped (or non-genuine, heh) and then when it silently reported this to the XBL servers it got a lock-up order. BRICK.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink View Post
how in the hell can they make it stop working when they have no connection to the outside world?

Edit: - Osh- its the inquirer...I've only seen one true story in their mag (only reason I KNOW its true is because it was about my dad and the security work he did in Branson, MO.)
Yeah it's INQ, but after reading up on the forum link provided from the source and a couple others, people are getting banned.

The person who got banned who was not connected could be bull as you say or they might have been connected earlier and it just took a while for the ban to happen.

What ever the real deal is , we will get an update from a reliable source soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
All the latest update does is block you from going online with the console, you can still happily continue to play all your games offline, just not through live, when are they ever gonna get it right.

And my modded 360 is still on live so the criteria they are using for banning is dubious to say the least.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathangentzen View Post

stick with Steam.

just wait until games for windows starts noticing when you've used a friends cd to play through single player and they:

Edit: i think it means they unplugged the internet, played a hacked game, then plugged it back in. the xbox could have flagged it as ripped (or non-genuine, heh) and then when it silently reported this to the XBL servers it got a lock-up order. BRICK.

That's my guess as to what happened.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They haven't caught my modded Xbox, free games and Live. And These day's I gget games before they come out too. Life is swell.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I tried to sell my steam acount on ebay once... I had over $300 in games on it. Steam disabled my account and I lost all the games I paid for. Now I paid for these games so isn't it my right to sell em or give them away if I wanted too? If I had purchased these games off the shelf I could sell them and make a profit. bottom line STEAM SUCKS

sorry a little off topic but I needed to vent

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgwright View Post
I tried to sell my steam acount on ebay once... I had over $300 in games on it. Steam disabled my account and I lost all the games I paid for. Now I paid for these games so isn't it my right to sell em or give them away if I wanted too? If I had purchased these games off the shelf I could sell them and make a profit. bottom line STEAM SUCKS

Selling steam accounts is against their TOS. So it was your fault for getting account disabled.

STEAM is awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Whats the fun of an Xbox without Live?

Seriously what are you going to do, play GOW2/COD5/Halo 3 (eww) by yourself?

You play the campaign CO-OP and then play multiplayer. It'd suck to be all by your lonesome just so you can be 1337!!eleven!111 I h4cKz0R 4LL MY G4M3S!!!11

LOL @ My attempt at "leet speak"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Theres too many games to play as it is, and to fit it in around a social life and work i barely get time to finish most single player games, let alone multiplayer so it's fine for me!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathangentzen View Post

stick with Steam.

They're not bricking hardware as the INQ suggests, they are just banning XBL accounts.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMirrorLink View Post

Your.. A.. Something..

This is not the magazine.. just... wow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firemaker View Post
They haven't caught my modded Xbox, free games and Live. And These day's I gget games before they come out too. Life is swell.
and one day, youll be banned from Xbox live and Q_Q.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgwright View Post

Against the TOS, you agreed to them. Shoulda actually read them

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yeah, I heard about the ban waves. The number of banned people were in the millions in case anyone didn't know. There might be another round of bans before the new Dashboard experience comes out soon.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Clever little punks over at Microsoft just punched pirates in the face, then a whole lot of innocent people while they were at it.
I doubt they hit an innocents, they are quite good at making sure they only get modded boxes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
They're not bricking hardware as the INQ suggests, they are just banning XBL accounts.
NO, wrong again, they aren't banning live accounts, they are preventing the modded console ONLY, from accessing xbox live. You can happily move your profile, live account/ membership included to another console and continue playing online.

Kicking a modded console from the ability to connect means someone buys a new console to replace it, and continue using their gamertag. Kicking a paying user off pisses them off for losing live membership and gamerscore, Therefore giving them no incentive to buy another 360 to get back online.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NITRO1250 View Post
Yeah, I heard about the ban waves. The number of banned people were in the millions in case anyone didn't know.

According to major Nelson on the MS blog the quote 'a very small percentage of live users we're banned' and considering there are at last count only 14 million live users, I'd b surprised if it's more that a few tens of thousands banned if that.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
pretty soon, we're going to see a huge flood of banned consoles on ebay.. people will buy them and then realize they can't play online.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts