Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...launch-tuesday

Quote:
ALMOST THREE WEEKS ago the INQ revealed Intel would be launching its next generation SSD drives based on 34nm NAND chips within about two weeks. Well, as it turns out we were off by only about a week, with new information reaching us today that launch date will actually be Tuesday 21st July.

The INQ has it on good authority that come close of play next Tuesday, the new and improved, cheaper, faster chips will be available for channel orders.

While there is a school of thought which claims the days of SSDs may be drawing to a close before they've even fully begun, system builders don't seem to be buying into the cynicism, with UK firm Mesh telling the INQ it has big plans for implementing the new smaller NAND chips.

Mesh has already launched its Slayer gaming range with SSD units in every system, but the firm's sales and marketing director, Tony Rockhardi told us "I'm looking for 100 per cent penetration with SSD."

He added, "by Tuesday next week, we expect SSD to be an available upgrade for every system in our range and, if the new technologies bring the kind of savings I'm looking for, then I'd expect every Mesh machine to be booting from an SSD by Bonfire Night" [5 November].

Previously, high costs, limited capacities and sometimes questionable reliability have made SSDs something of a niche offering, but our sources tell us Intel's upcoming babies will not only be super fast and ultra dependable, but will be able to undercut everyone else in the market price wise.

We already know there will be 320GB, 160GB and 80GB capacities of the new drives, but we've also got our fingers crossed for a 500GB version to show up. µ

Note: " will be able to undercut everyone else in the market price wise."

Original rumors: http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...sd-coming.html
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Martkilu

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rRav3n View Post
has price been annouced
Since the drives haven't been announced... the prices are still unknown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
they CAN undercut the competition, but chances are they won't and just enjoy larger profit margins on these faster "premium" ssd's

vendors will see lower prices, but the end retail SSD's will probably be priced similarly to current models.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post
they CAN undercut the competition, but chances are they won't and just enjoy larger profit margins on these faster "premium" ssd's

vendors will see lower prices, but the end retail SSD's will probably be priced similarly to current models.
The Samsung IC + Indilinx Barefoot combo are definitely hurting Intel's sales. If anything, their new pricing point would at least complete with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Since the drives haven't been announced... the prices are still unknown.

yeh i ment like a speculated ball park figure ... but yeh i know a little early
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppinj View Post
I would love to see a cheap 500 GB SSD by Jan/Feb when I plan on my next build. Cant wait to see the opening prices.
I rather have some low-priced, high performance 30-40GB SSDs for RAID...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,046 Posts
An 80gb SSD would be pretty sweet for less then three hundred. Intel has done a lot of good things with firmware updates to decrease losses in performance over time when filling up the drives. People who say that the SSD will die before it even starts are kidding themselves I think...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Quote:


Tony Rockhardi told us "I'm looking for 100 per cent penetration with SSD."

I had to stop at this point in the article to suppress giggling.

Anyway....

I certainly hope this improves pricing for us human-folk.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

I rather have some low-priced, high performance 30-40GB SSDs for RAID...

RAID on SSDs is pointless...it wont do much for your boot times compared to a single SSD, nor for any other app handling unless you do some b**ching video editing normally done on large farms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
right now i can't record with fraps at over 720 resolution without lagging. I was thinking it was my 7200 rpm hard drive that was killing my recording performance. If i was to get one of these new SSD's do you think i would be able to record video with fraps at 720 or 1080 without lagging? With my system in my sig of coarse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by specops View Post
right now i can't record with fraps at over 720 resolution without lagging. I was thinking it was my 7200 rpm hard drive that was killing my recording performance. If i was to get one of these new SSD's do you think i would be able to record video with fraps at 720 or 1080 without lagging? With my system in my sig of coarse
An SSD should enable you to record with fraps at over 720p or 1080 without Lag. 7200RPM isnt all that slow, but it is probably the 'let down' of your system if you get what I mean? An SSD or a VelociRaptor should both have a similar effect. it just depends on how much you have to spend
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by specops
View Post

right now i can't record with fraps at over 720 resolution without lagging. I was thinking it was my 7200 rpm hard drive that was killing my recording performance. If i was to get one of these new SSD's do you think i would be able to record video with fraps at 720 or 1080 without lagging? With my system in my sig of coarse

Try writing to separate HD... it should help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by specops
View Post

right now i can't record with fraps at over 720 resolution without lagging. I was thinking it was my 7200 rpm hard drive that was killing my recording performance. If i was to get one of these new SSD's do you think i would be able to record video with fraps at 720 or 1080 without lagging? With my system in my sig of coarse

If you're only recording a few minutes at a time, you could make a ramdisk and write to that. Raw uncompressed video will get big fast though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
i only have 1 hard drive atm so i cant write to a seperate. Do you guys think a velraptor 160gb hard drive would be enough to let me record at 720 or 1080? How much faster do you think the new intel SSD's will be compared to the raptor? 2x? 4x? 10?
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top