Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Following Microsoft’s claims that 7 ran well on a Lenovo S10 netbook, Joanna Stern at Laptop Mag stuck the OS on an EeePC 1000H and *shazam*... it installed. Well, not only did it install but it seems like it actually runs quite well under the future OS. As it happens, 7 is a bit lighter than Vista, sucking up just under 512MB of RAM for itself â€" and never mind Joanna installing some XP drivers to get it going (you can read a bit into that, actually). The Vista feel is there, but there are a few new features that benefit UMPCs to a point, like the new and improved Network Manager. She was comfortable enough to use it but not to keep it right now. It is, after all, a pre-Beta (with an expiry date most likely).
interesting...

sauce

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
The beta I have installed on a Virtual Machine with 1.5GBs used up around 480MBs.

It also used 7GBs of HDD space.

It should be noted though, that Vista can use as little as 200MBs.

^ That's Vista ^

·
15,777 Posts
Interesting re-vista indeed...

·
No u
4,133 Posts
So lets see

New Name
More new/old revised features
New/Revised Kernel
Another OS to call bloated and **** like people would say for Vista

+1

·
Initializing...
23,790 Posts
So simply Windows 7 will be a revised vista on steriods.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendaryC
View Post

The beta I have installed on a Virtual Machine with 1.5GBs used up around 480MBs.

It also used 7GBs of HDD space.

It should be noted though, that Vista can use as little as 200MBs.

^ That's Vista ^

Well if you want to get technical, you're using 468MB of your page file too...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The bit i found interesting was the fact they installed XP drivers to get things to work. So its compatible with XP and probably vista drivers on top of its own so there is always going to be something working which is cool.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Quote:

So its compatible with XP and probably vista drivers on top of its own so there is always going to be something working which is cool.

*cough* we're talking about a Microsoft product... so more likely "its compatible with XP and probably vista drivers on top of its own so there is always going to be something wrong which is cool."

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
there is no Windows 7 beta yet, last last I check it was still in pre alpha

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I hope being compatible with with old driver like that don't cause some problems here and there (shouldn't as vista only need signed drivers, but they are the same), I too think Microsoft should stop apologizing for Vista, really Vista is like any of us, it has problems, but they all get fixed eventually and today, in the end Vista is really a masterpiece. The ones that should be apologizing should be every company that made buggy vista drives because they thought it was going to be delayed (ahem Nividia)

·
Initializing...
23,790 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Col. Newman View Post
Actually there is a leaked beta online somewhere.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Col. Newman View Post
Pre-beta is what they're calling it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts