Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-breakthroughs

Quote:


CHIP DESIGNER Innovative Silicon (IS) has overcome two hurdles that will allow its Z-RAM zero-capacitor, floating body (FB) memory technology to compete with traditional DRAM.

According to IS, it has managed to reduce the bit cell operating voltage to less than one volt, bringing it on par with cutting edge DRAM voltages, and with no degradation to its multi-second static retention time. Secondly, by using the same 3D transistor structures used in most DRAM manufacturing, IS has developed a way of bulk producing the Z-RAM silicon without need for expensive silicon on insulator substrates.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,037 Posts
You mean there's an end in sight to high RAM prices, even though it'll be years before we'll get a shot at it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

You mean there's an end in sight to high RAM prices, even though it'll be years before we'll get a shot at it?

What high RAM prices? RAM prices are about where they have been historically.

RAM prices were abnormally low only for 2006-2008 due to a number of reasons.
 

·
Data Recovery Engineer
Joined
·
20,225 Posts
I am at a loss when it understanding the implementations of Z-RAM... What advantages are there over DRAM? I do not understand.
 

·
News Junkie
Joined
·
8,232 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

I am at a loss when it understanding the implementations of Z-RAM... What advantages are there over DRAM? I do not understand.

16GB of Zram sounds much cooler than Dram
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
What about density? Its great that they've managed to attain the speed and cost, but can they make 1Gb dimms?

If so, how much, which limbs do I need to give to get some with a compatible mobo?

And for the people questioning the implications, if I understand it correctly, by capacitor free they mean static. That means that the memory cells don't discharge and thus don't need to be constantly connected to a power supply to be refreshed. This would be huge for laptops since you're basically combining the resume speed of sleep mode with the 0 watt power consumption of hibernate
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

What high RAM prices? RAM prices are about where they have been historically.

RAM prices were abnormally low only for 2006-2008 due to a number of reasons.

We are all spoiled. Would kill for those prices again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
2006 WAS NOT historically low, 2006 was HORRIBLE($200 for 2GB anyone??? 2GB had been $100-130 in 2005).2007-2009 were historically low
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

What about density? Its great that they've managed to attain the speed and cost, but can they make 1Gb dimms?

If so, how much, which limbs do I need to give to get some with a compatible mobo?

I'm wondering about the capacity as well. We're starting to see 4GB DIMM's not be as expensive as in the past, and soon we might see one stick of 4GB being a standard.

As for Mobo support, it's more like CPU support. IMC's are on the CPU's now, so it'll be up to AMD & Intel to see if ZRAM gets supported on your consumer Desktops and Laptops.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlink View Post
2006 WAS NOT historically low, 2006 was HORRIBLE($200 for 2GB anyone??? 2GB had been $100-130 in 2005).2007-2009 were historically low
You're right... Vista was launched in 2007.... and was one of the causes of low memory prices.

I revise my dates to mid-2007 to early-2009.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
You're right... Vista was launched in 2007.... and was one of the causes of low memory prices.

I revise my dates to mid-2007 to early-2009.

Stupid Microsoft... releasing an OS that isn't a total memory hog


Why couldn't they just let Apple spread fud about how Windows 7 is going to be even worse than Vista, why did they have to go and execute a brilliant PR campaign?!?!


(That being said, I paid $100 CDN for my Dominators in November, its all about waiting for the right deals)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,050 Posts
Did someone say 'Z'?


Intrigued but like some others that have tried to introduce new types RAM in the past, I don't think the market will embrace this unless competitely cheap and will work with CPU's and motherboards that are in the market now. Much like how HD-DVD and Blue-ray went.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris View Post
What about density? Its great that they've managed to attain the speed and cost, but can they make 1Gb dimms?

If so, how much, which limbs do I need to give to get some with a compatible mobo?

And for the people questioning the implications, if I understand it correctly, by capacitor free they mean static. That means that the memory cells don't discharge and thus don't need to be constantly connected to a power supply to be refreshed. This would be huge for laptops since you're basically combining the resume speed of sleep mode with the 0 watt power consumption of hibernate

I'm not so sure that is the direct implication of the capacitor-less RAM. In traditional DRAM, there is one transistor and one capacitor for one bit of data. In ZRAM, they do away with the capacitor by taking advantage of the "floating body affect" which is basically electrical noise that builds up on the silicon and harnessing that effect to somehow control the effect to store a charge like a capacitor. Therefore, there are several huge benefits. ZRAM has twice the storage capacity for the same die size as DRAM. With the cells being smaller, there is also the secondary affect that the latency to each transistor is decreased. But, I don't think the effect turns it into solid state memory.

I was really hoping to see AMD turn this technology into something awesome (five years ago when they licensed the technology), but we still haven't anything yet. The buzz back then was the potential for ZRAM to be used in place of trandition SRAM which needs 6 transistors for cache. Maybe they're bringing back the buzz for Bulldozer? Maybe somehow end up in GPUs?
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: DuckieHo

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

And for the people questioning the implications, if I understand it correctly, by capacitor free they mean static. That means that the memory cells don't discharge and thus don't need to be constantly connected to a power supply to be refreshed. This would be huge for laptops since you're basically combining the resume speed of sleep mode with the 0 watt power consumption of hibernate


So it's green?! Green is good!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post
It will likely become a relic like XDR memory technologies.

Canonized into obscure, expensive electronics. *Cough*PS3 uses XDR*Cough*
..and why would you say that? This is suppose to be cheaper and denser.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,050 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

As for Mobo support, it's more like CPU support. IMC's are on the CPU's now, so it'll be up to AMD & Intel to see if ZRAM gets supported on your consumer Desktops and Laptops.

Is it possible to have chipsets on the mobo to sort of intervene? Or IMC's that can do both DRAM and ZRAM?

Or will they just use these for video cards and the like that uses their own ram?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Krusher33
View Post

Is it possible to have chipsets on the mobo to sort of intervene? Or IMC's that can do both DRAM and ZRAM?

Or will they just use these for video cards and the like that uses their own ram?

IMCs would need to support the RAM, motherboards would need to support the bus and slot.

IMCs are very specific. The Phenom II can handle DDR2 and DDR3 only because it has two IMCs. Core i7 chips can only use DDR3. Phenom 1 chips use DDR2 only. They would need a CPU with a ZRAM controller.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top