Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK . .since WHT1986 posted his "wacky idea". . .ill throw mine out there. I have an old mini fridge lying around unused. I was thinking of mving it into my room and using it to help fuel my pepsi addition. But what if i took a 5ft lengh of tube from the out of my radiator, drilled a couple holes in one side of my fridge and coiled up the extra tubing in the freezer area, then chased it back out to my resevoir. The coolent has antifreeze so it shouldnt be a problem (plus the comp is usually on) and i have seen a decrease of a couple degrees simply from touching a frozen watter bottle to the line just coming out of the resevoir for a minute or so. If i have time ill M$ paint it up.

thanks for the comments.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD

OK . .since WHT1986 posted his "wacky idea". . .ill throw mine out there. I have an old mini fridge lying around unused. I was thinking of mving it into my room and using it to help fuel my pepsi addition. But what if i took a 5ft lengh of tube from the out of my radiator, drilled a couple holes in one side of my fridge and coiled up the extra tubing in the freezer area, then chased it back out to my resevoir. The coolent has antifreeze so it shouldnt be a problem (plus the comp is usually on) and i have seen a decrease of a couple degrees simply from touching a frozen watter bottle to the line just coming out of the resevoir for a minute or so. If i have time ill M$ paint it up.

thanks for the comments.

It's been done and it doesn't work that well. We hear this idea at least 4 times a month
Just save your time and feed that pepsi addiction...I want Pepsi now.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

It's been done and it doesn't work that well. We hear this idea at least 4 times a month
Just save your time and feed that pepsi addiction...I want Pepsi now.

I've got a 2 liter of Pepsi sitting next to me.

·

29,532 Posts
You can't do this either. It will burn out, simply.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

hehe . . before my GF i was drinking a twelve pack + a night while playing CS:S/COD . . good times

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

really.. .well nvm then .. i rarley make it over to the WC threads lol

Yeah, the reason is that a fridge isn't designed to remove heat from a heat source, it's designed to keep the air inside it cold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

Ship it with the pizza you ship me.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but the water would be continuously moving and i dont think it would make that much of a difference (which is why im not saying put the resvoir in there). . . im only looking for a 3 degree drop or so lol . . .

(ok im just lookinig for a reason to keep my pepsi close to me)

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

yeah but the water would be continuously moving and i dont think it would make that much of a difference (which is why im not saying put the resvoir in there). . . im only looking for a 3 degree drop or so lol . . .

(ok im just lookinig for a reason to keep my pepsi close to me)
It would do just about that, but it would make your fridge work harder than it should be and it would kill the compressor.

AAA-HA! The truth comes out!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah . .my gf just looke over my shoulder ond scolded me . .lol . . oh well . . the fridge is goin in the trash a/w so i might try it.

im running like 34 idle. . . 42 load so any improvement could help

·
Registered
787 Posts
It will work if you do it correctly. Mine didn't fail nor suceed because it was leaking and then I sold my rig so I didnt feel the need to waste time and perfect it.

You are going to have to disassemble part of your mini fridge. Get a huge bucket, as big as you can fit in the fridge and get some copper tubing.

Drill two holes in the side and take the copper tubing to the bottom and coil it at the bottom of the fridge, then continue the copper tubing up and over the side and into the bucket thats in the fridge.

Now fridges "get cold" because of the coils that are inside the fridge connected to the compressor, much like a phase change system, you have to get these coils into the big bucket.

Fill the bucket with water, and stick the copper tubing out the other hole. Now you have to insulate everything that is outside of the fridge if you want to keep the water cool.

Get two quiet 120mm fans and attach them on either side of the compressor to help cool it down.

Turn the minifridge on for about a day before turning your computer on, best to do this at night, then go to school and come home.

Your bucket of water should now be a block of ice.

Turn the fridges temp back down to half and there you go.

Depends on what processor and voltage you are running but your temps should be about 20-30s tops.

The water passes throught he copper tubing down to the bottom of the fridge where it is gets very cold, the bottom of the fridge is the coldest part because we all know, heat rises. The water continues back up the fridge and down into the now frozen bucket of water this cools the water to 0 - 20 degrees (0 - 20 because the ice melts when you have your computer on for a couple hours, but when you first turn it on its 0). This will easily keep your temps very low if you don't leave your computer on 24/7 like me.

On mine I had an extra rad on the loop that was outside the fridge and I lost alot of cold water there, the temps into the rad were 10C while out of the rad 20C, make sure everything is insulated.

It will work, you just have to do it the right way and not the stupid way (throwing a computer in a fridge).

Other than that it does cost a few dollars to get everything setup, and if your easily pissed off like me it might take a week to assemble. I just hope your minifridge is easier access to the cold coils unlike mine.

Sorry for the long post .

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the long post. . . i may have to try this. . . although its going to be one of those back burner projects that ill never really do until im extremly board (christmas break perhaps?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts