Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am having some problems and have some upgrade questions. Right now it has a p3 800 mhz, 128mb ram, 10gb hard drive, Windows 2000 Service pack 4. It randomly will lock up and sometime when i start it up the screen lights up and the os dosent boot. A Reset will fix it but sometime it will work a hour sometimes all day and time 5 mins 10 or 20 depends how it feeling lol. Thats my main problem my other problem is sometimes the ethernet dosent show and i cant get internet on it what could cause that i used updated drivers also.

Now my plans "i need a lil help" I wanna put the max mobile p3 i can in it i hear a 1.13 or 1.3 will work in it. I also wanna upgrade the ram I hear 512mb is the max is there a way to get it to support more maby a newer bios? And will any size "gb" notebook hard drive work? Or dose the bios only support so much? Is there any possible way to put a newer graphics in it at all? And on the bottom it has a ethernet card i think any idea of if i can upgrade that? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can get the 512 RAM, change the modem/ethernet card, probably upgrade the CPU and get Windows XP on it. However, laptops are not built to be upgraded, so you need to ask yourself if it is really worth it. Think about putting that money into a desktop computer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its the only laptop we have and we want it to be semi good my gf will be the one mainly useing it and i dont want it to be a total piece of crap.
Anyone know if you can put anything faster than a 1ghz mobile p3 coppermine? Is it possible to put the same pin mobile pentium m in it? I seen one on ebay from 2002 1.4 ghz and the laptop was made in 2001 so i thought id ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i finally got the bios to upgrade from a06 "2001 version" to a17 from 2004 and the laptop re added all componets after boot and its not locking up any more so that problem seems to be fixed now. Will the way never bios allow for more than 512mb ram?

Btw done some ebay shopping for a cpu got the 1066 "1ghz" P3 coppermine for only 15.00. However the old pc100 and pc133 ram is crazy priced even on ebay but i will get a single 512mb stick anyway is any paticular sodimm pc100/133 better than the others? It may be older but i wanna make it the best hell the mobo alone w/o a cpu sells for 180 bucks on ebay lol. Thanks for any help and questions anwsered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i got the p3 1066mhz coppermine ordered got 2 256mb "512mb" pc133 kingston ram, Got a 60gb travelstar, Gonna load XP coprate edition on it when all the parts get in. Then i will tweak all window's options i can think of and get the best free ram optimiser out that i downloaded, Now im wondering how well everyone think it will preform compared to other laptops out there and is there anything else i can do to it to make it better than what i am currently doing?

And i have one question why dose it lock up no matter what software oc tool i use such as cpufsb, clockgen, setfsb and even speed fan any of theese = instant lockup without the programs even opening just by trying to open tham o_O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts