Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've seen a review or even installation info specifically for the ATI Radeon HD 5850, so I'm gonna compile info here for anyone who's interested in doing this for themselves. It's actually pretty easy, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Just more expensive toys to play with.

Just some initial pics I took (My apologies if the images are a bit blurry.. I used my 5MP phone camera and it can be inconsistent). I neglected to take pics of the heatsinks included, but it did come with various memory sinks for the different cards that it's compatible with:

Quick pic of my stock 5850s in Xfire:

Once I got the 2 cards out of the case, I had to go buy a precision screwdriver set since the screws were so tiny.. They were on really tight and I was pretty worried that I might strip one of em or that I might twist too hard and slam the screwdriver into the back of the board. Neither one of those scenarios came true.

I was surprised to see that the stock thermal paste was spread on the whole chip, rather than just a blob that I normally see in people's installs.

Cleaned up all the thermal goop with 91% rubbing alcohol and a qtip and it came off surprisingly easy.

Also, added the memory heatsinks to all the chips on the card. The silver heatsinks bottom and to the left of the chip are the new additions.

I have AS5 TIM right now, but plan to move to some Shin Etsu or OCZ Freeze at some point. Was a bit harder to apply TIM to this chip than to a CPU as there is less clearance between the chip and the board. I got some TIM onto the board so I had to spend some time cleaning it up. I don't have an image of this, but I used a small blob and spread it thinly with an ID card.

The last thing to do is insert a copper divider between the GPU chip and heatsink; this is included. My chip was just even with the bracket and I wasn't quite sure if I was getting optimal contact to my heatsink, so I stuck this in between just to be sure. After applying another layer of AS5 to the bottom of the heatsink, it was time to finally install the cooler!

It's SUPER easy to do. There are several holes on each corner of the back plate for different screw locations, but for the 5850 it used the 2nd closest to the corner. After sliding the included screws into the heatsink and putting them through, it's time to match up the back plate and tighten.

I didn't take any pics during these phases of the install since it was pretty straightforward, but if anyone wants to see something specific, I can always take it apart and redo it.

The full card + Musashi came out to about 3mm thicker than with the stock fan, so really a great great size for the potential performance boost.

I had a pretty scary incident when I installed the first card.. I plugged everything in, powered up, and had no monitor. Suffice it to say, I freaked out and assumed that I had blown up the card. I unplugged everything, lay the case down on the ground and lo and behond........ I had forgotten to plug it back into the PSU.

Only problem I have right now is since it is that 3mm thicker, the bottom fan is just that much closer to my wireless card.. I occasionally hear a tiny clicking sound since it's so close, so I gotta figure out how to hold it up ever so slightly so it doesn't sag.

Also, I don't have any accurate temperature readings yet considering it was in the 90s today and I live on the second floor with no AC.. it was so damn hot inside of my apartment. I'm currently at 40C on the bottom card and 35C on the top, both idle and not overclocked. It's supposed to be in the 80's for a few days, so hopefully I can get some more accurate temps recorded.

All in all, this was super fun and I just hope the performance gains justify buying these coolers. I'm confident they will not disappoint. Now all I have to do is reorganize my cables again, this time a little better.

Thanks for reading
I had a bunch of fun doing this!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I found a temporary fix for the sagging bottom card. The way my wires are currently set up, I have a 4pin cable extending from my inner H50 rad fan down the mobo to the very bottom 4pin connector, so I just tightened that up a bit and slid it between the two fans on the Musashi. It holds up the card just enough so that it's not spinning on the wireless card anymore. You can see the wire I'm talking about in the last picture up above.

I'll need to find a more permanent solution after I reorganize all my wiring, but that was a quick way to get rid of the annoying clicking. It also seems to have lowered both gpu temps by 2 degrees, though that might just be a coincidence and not directly related to it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD SLI guru View Post
Nice build! those fans look good too! :-D
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplec6 View Post
Looks great man, think I might get these for my Xfire 5850's. How do I remove the big red plastic piece on my 5850's?
I assume you're talking about the backplate? Mine weren't reference models (No backplate), so I just had to unscrew the heatsink/fan and I was done. I'd imagine you just have to take a few extra screws out to get the backplate off. Just be sure to put the backplate back on with any aftermarket heatsink you install; it'll give you much better memory cooling than aftermarket memory heat sinks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@OP: Replace the plastic expansion card clips with screws. Those tool-free clips suck at holding up even moderately heavy gfx cards. My gfx cards sagged as well until I replaced the clips with screws.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good idea, never thought of doing that. I ordered a nice USB wireless N adapter so I can remove my wireless card and avoid the issue altogether, but I might just go the route you suggested as well. I'll look into it.

+ rep for the idea, thanks!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just did this on mine and can attest that it works good on the 5850.
mine is the same as the OP. no memory sinks on the card originally so
that surely helps also

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
temps all fans on max with my rig:

and with my casefans on 50% and musashi on 45%:

that last setting is for silence. i cannot monitor my vrm temps sry. my vgpu
is 1.163v (5870 standard) cus i've flashed it with an 5870 bios.

furmark were on xtreme burning mode.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hmm something must be up with my installation. i just installed the musashi on my 5850 and i'm getting temps of 73 degrees under full load furmark.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
hmm something must be up with my installation. i just installed the musashi on my 5850 and i'm getting temps of 73 degrees under full load furmark.
It looks like he is getting about the same under load, 2nd pic.

Lots of other variables too, case fans, ambient temp, etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Process
View Post

It looks like he is getting about the same under load, 2nd pic.

Lots of other variables too, case fans, ambient temp, etc.

yea i guess so i didnt notice that. my other 5850 with the twin turbo pro stays cool at 54 degrees max. wish i coulda put that cooler on my second one for crossfire but the space between the two cards was too small.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
I'm worried about the VRM temps on those things... But even more worried about VRM temps with the original cooler.

·
Registered
51 Posts
@OP: Could you please tell me what the distance is between the two PCI slots your cards are in? I'm thinking of slapping some Musashi's on my 4890's and can't seem to find dimensions for them. I'm particularly worried about the rather large thumb screws sticking out the back of the PCB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts