Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I was just wondering if it's possible. I have a bunch of 15,000 2Gps fibre channel drives in racks at home but I was wondering if it's possible to install into a PC. Do they make a fibre channel card PCIX? Right now the racks and everything are at the house but i live in an apartment and Its too loud to have all 35 drives in their racks in my tiny apartment. I would really like to find a card that is PCI 8x or something but even an SATA to fibre adapter would work too. I don't need them for their speed i just need more space.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
huh..ive never heard of those...lemme see if i can find you something.

ill edit the post if i find something or not.

edit: sorry man, couldnt find anything =(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are only HBA Host bus adapters They only plug into the controller then the controller plugs into the racks which holds the hard drives. I guess they don't make any type of adapters. It sucks bc I have over 3TB in fibre channel drives and im out of space on my pc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's at my house in Ohio and im in my apartment in Kentucky
and when i VPN it's way too slow to send files. But thanks though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The racks and controller prob total around $200,000 and are meant for large corporations to put into their computer room which is like 40 degrees. so there's really no way to make it quiter

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Fibre Channel is the high end of the high end designed for large corporations. That means that Fibre Channel controllers are quite expensive if you're looking for a new one. The other difficult thing is that the connector on the Fibre host bus adapter will not plug directly into a drive. You will need an optical to SCA or a 2Gb copper to SCA adapter.
Your best bet would be the rack you have, which probably has a Fibre backplane in it. You just need to hook the host bus adapter up to the box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the controller but it's external rack mounted. I was wondering if they made a controller card for pc's so i don't need a huge rack setup for storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts