Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me again...sigh
. I need to know how to uninstall my old heatsink and what i need to install a new one. I have looked at my current heat sink and unscrewed all visable screws. I have never done anything like this before so I don't have a clue.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport

It's me again...sigh
. I need to know how to uninstall my old heatsink and what i need to install a new one. I have looked at my current heat sink and unscrewed all visable screws. I have never done anything like this before so I don't have a clue.

The obvious first step is to remove the mounting brackets that hold the HS down, once they are removed pull gently on the HS to see if thermal compound was used (the HS will come right off of the processor) or if they used thermal glue(you will not be able to pull the HS off because it is stuck to the CPU which is being held in with the CPU gate).

Reply as to what kind of bonding they are using then I could help you to clean it up to install the new HS.

For the new HS you will need Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound to create a thermal layer between the HS and CPU.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They must have used a thermal compound because it does not come off. How do i get it off? It seems to be stuck on there pretty good.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

They must have used a thermal compound because it does not come off. How do i get it off? It seems to be stuck on there pretty good.

I have fought with the thermal paste before and it is not easy, the recommendations that were given to me were to have the computer run for a while, then while it is on and the paste is heated turn the HS 1 degree at a time very slowly and carefully trying to pull the HS from the CPU, when it is free turn the PC off then clean the HS with asetone and try to carefully clean the top fo the cpu with asetone also.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I will try that. I just didn't want to end up ripping my mobo in half pulling on it, I never thought of pulling it off while it is running.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Thanks I will try that. I just didn't want to end up ripping my mobo in half pulling on it, I never thought of pulling it off while it is running.

I came to the same point, but forced the CPU out of the socket while attached to the HS which killed the CPU.
Remember be careful.

It would be a lot less hassle if you just go buy a new CPU.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may just wait a year until it is worth getting a new cpu rather than risk breaking a good one and having to buy one that isn't much better. Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I've had the same problem on a friends machine.... what I did was put the CPU under load for 2 hours then switch off and twist the HS from side to side.... after a few minutes of the twisting, it came off

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I've ripped CPUs out of sockets for ages and only once broke a pin, not saying it's safe or a good idea, but running the CPU without a heatsink isn't either....it's a good idea, heat it up, pull it over then instantly hit the switch on the power supply to shut it down. Some people say stick the whole motherboard and stuff in the freezer for a day, I've never tried it though

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Some people say stick the whole motherboard and stuff in the freezer for a day, I've never tried it though

thats insane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts