Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PC Gamer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. After I got it together, I plugged all the peripherals in and hit the power button. Nothing happened. I took the side cover back off and looked for loose wires but didn't find any. I moved my RAM stick from A2 to B2. I switched out the power cord. When I got desperate, I reinstalled the factory Wraith Spire. It's completely dead. I plan to strip it completely in the morning, but is there anything else i can check before doing that?

·
Cheapest Man On Earth
640 Posts
The most common issue is with the 4/8pin CPU power connector. It's easy to miss or not get clipped down fully, especially if you forget about it until after the heatsink is installed.

Another thing I can think of being likely is a short of some sort. If you have any adapters between the stock PSU cables and devices, for example SATA adapters or PCI-E power adapters, then try unplugging them. If there is anything touching the motherboard and causing a short it can also cause a non-bootable machine. Maybe try to lift it and see if you hear anything rolling around. If everything else seems to fail I would definitely remove everything and vigorously shake the case to find loose screws or panels.

It could also be the switch itself. Many times the reset and power buttons are the same, so you could try swapping with the power button and see if that works. Sometimes the solder joint is weak and the wire breaks, hidden behind the front panel. You could also bypass the switch and try to start it with something like a screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
I know, it's kind of a no-brainer, like forgetting to remove the plastic from bottom of cooler before installing, but on the long shot chance this is the problem; Did you maybe forget to turn on the switch on power supply? Usually back of PSU is on back of computer case

·
PC Gamer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried everything I could think of. I ended up taking it completely apart down to the bare motherboard and reassembling it. Still nothing. Then I started wondering about my PSU because I have a habit of touching it to ground myself while building. Did the paperclip test and nothing. It's dead. New one on order and let's hope that's the only problem. Thank you for the help and I'll keep you updated.

·
Tinkers With Rigs
1,154 Posts
I tried everything I could think of. I ended up taking it completely apart down to the bare motherboard and reassembling it. Still nothing. Then I started wondering about my PSU because I have a habit of touching it to ground myself while building. Did the paperclip test and nothing. It's dead. New one on order and let's hope that's the only problem. Thank you for the help and I'll keep you updated.
Ugh, blown PSUs are the worst. Always such an anxious time waiting to get power back to test your other components. Good luck!

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,209 Posts
Check around and under the standoffs. They are horribly machined. I have seen a number of these where the insulation falls off, or is not thick enough, and the standoff cuts up the MB breaking or crossing traces. Also, make sure the backplate is clearing all components.

·
PC Gamer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured this deserved a final end. It turned out to be the motherboard. I don't know if I fried it somehow or if it just happened to give up the ghost at the wrong time, but I went ahead and upgraded. I went with the Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 5 Wi-Fi. BIG improvement over the B350 Tomahawk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts