Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is going on? speedfan says that my idle temp is 54!!!!!

ran intel burn test went up to 60 in under 2 seconds! stopped instantly!

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
60C isn't that hot, esp with intel burn test. Mine maxes at 73C. Your temps should be lower than what your getting though.

This is why I prefer air cooling over water cooling when your at around a ~$100 budget. It get's the same, if not better results. I've had zero luck with water cooling kits, and only found H2O to be worth it at around $200 for custom.

Some people have luck with kits so... /shrug.

Your pump probably isn't working correctly, or you seated it wrong.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke;13127008
60C isn't that hot, esp with intel burn test. Mine maxes at 73C. Your temps should be lowerthan what your getting though.

Also this is why I prefer air cooling over water cooling when your at around a ~$100 budget. I've had zero luck with water cooling kits, and only found it worth it to spend about $300 on custom H2O.

Some people have luck with kits so... /shrug
60C is just not right for an H70 either it's not on right or you were unlucky and got a DOA one.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is my worst ever day for pc building, seriously want to geek suicide.

pump is plugged into the cpu fan header, and i have the two fans on a fan splitter on just a mobo fan.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You gotta make sure you dont mess up the thermal paste thats on there when you insert the block into the clamp that is connected to the motherboard. It happened to me when I first installed my old H70. It took me some fiddling and moving around to finally get the block to get through the clamp and be able to turn it to start to lock it into place. While doing that, it moved the paste all over the place causing air gaps and making my temps high. Its worth a shot to remove it and reapply a pea sized drop of paste in the center of the CPU and reseat the block. I was getting 49c on 100% load with my H70 and i7 950 at stock speeds.

EDIT: Also, did you plug the connector for the pump into the CPU fan port on the motherboard? If not, maybe your pump is running too fast/slow.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino;13127027
60C is just not right for an H70 either it's not on right or you were unlucky and got a DOA one.
Yea, he should be getting <40C idle for sure.

Either he did something wrong during installation, or his pump isn't working.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got rid of old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, just put the new one on as it was pre applied.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Check your BIOS and make sure your CPU fan header is set to 100%.

The number one cause of high temps on these H70 units can be attributed to the pump being run at less then 100% by a PWM controlled fan header.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how do i set the cpu fan to 100% in bios i have cpu fan speed 1059 rpm/ignored only choice?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF_x;13127183
how do i set the cpu fan to 100% in bios i have cpu fan speed 1059 rpm/ignored only choice?
If it's like my asus p55 board ignored will put it on 100%.

The other option is putting it on another header that you know runs at 100%? Or power directly from molex.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i've just put it on ignored... staying fixed at 57 in bios temp... exactly as before.. ***.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts