Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys last night I replaced my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro with a 212 EVO. The installation was a real pain IMO as it was hard to get the back bracket on while having the motherboard in my other hand. So I am trying to figure out why my computer is running so slow. When I pulled the CPU out to clean the Thermal Paste off some got on the socket so I tried to clean it up and one of the 775 pins got bent. I just pressed it back in and put the cpu in to seat it and pulled it back out and it looks like it was never bent now. So after I got the cooler on and the computer rebuilt, it is running so slow. Temps are 15 C cooler than before but this shouldn't make it slower, if anything it should make it faster! Lol. Anyway just trying to figure this out. My overclock is still there even though the CMOS battery is claiming its dead which I was happy about because I didn't remember all of my settings. Im building a new Z170 PC soon anyway but just having fun playing with this one. What could cause the slowness and application hangs guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you post your screenshots of CPU-Z?
Given that the Bios didn't reset and OS booted correctly, all the components should be running as same as pre-cooler-install.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsQn View Post

Can you post your screenshots of CPU-Z?
Given that the Bios didn't reset and OS booted correctly, all the components should be running as same as pre-cooler-install.
Sure ill post some when I get back to that computer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Could be the pin that you bent, or it could be a tiny remaining amount of thermal paste still in the socket, or it could be you bumped a SATA plug and unseated it slightly, try replugging these.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extremely slow startup, applications that I have set to launch (Skype, steam) taking about 3 minutes to launch after logging in, steam window just locking up and unable to be moved. Was playing Blops 3 and had it in the menu and the computer locked up and the audio turned into static. I would occasionally get BSODs before last night and after the restart it would always be slow but not so consistent like now. Just strange stuff. I pushed the SATA cable in all the way when I reinstalled the mother board made sure of it. It was hard with the 2 GTX 590s in the way though. Oh yeah and the first time I started it up I noticed after playing a little bit that I forgot to put SLI bridge back in. I can't remember if that was the time that it froze or the second time after I shut it down and put it back in. Haven't BSDODED it yet though just that one lock up. Task manager slow to open chrome taking ages to open up, stuff like that. This all used to be instant when I first installed Windows just like my Macbook Pro is instant with the SSD it has in it. The HDD is 3% fragmented which shouldn't affect anything I ran a virus scan and came back clean. Not sure what else it could be. Maybe just need to reinstall windows or something.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Have you tried running benchmarks? Slow application speed could be the result of anything ranging from throttling CPU, dying harddrive, bad software/viruses, lack of RAM, etc

The only way to pinpoint your problem is to run benchmarks that test each component. Try running CPU passmark or CPU benchmarks to see if your CPU score is equal to the score of other folks with the same CPU. Make sure you run it with HW monitor to check your CPU temperatures.

Also, what are your system specs?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Download and run:

Passmark to see if your CPU score reaches the same score as other people with the same CPU. (run it at stock speeds)

DiscInfo to test your harddrive speeds & monitor your harddrive health.

Prime95 with small FFT tests to test your CPUs at 100%, to make sure it's not reaching crazy temperatures and throttling when at full load.

Of course the Windows 7's Windows Experience Index score is a very fast benchmark that may help you quickly pinpoint the problem (abet overly simplistic). Harddrives will reach around 5.7-5.9, SSDs, will be in the 6s-7s.

·
Registered
166 Posts
CPU-Z looks fine. After you done some tests that were mentioned above, you can do the following :

Look for the following equivalents on your BIOS:
  1. Check is "display logo on startup" is disabled
  2. Check if "fast load-up" is enabled
  3. Check under your CPU-settings is "multicore" enabled
OS settings:
(I'm suspecting you have some bloatwares slowing things down from software-side not the hardware)
  1. In Windows search box, type "msconfig" and press enter.
  2. Go to "startup" tab and uncheck unnecessary applications.
If you still don't experience any change in performance, defrag your disk. And lastly, if the speed still bothers you, maybe freshly installing the OS is your best option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts