Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says I just installed my 580 and ran for about half hour then. Bang! Sparks come
Out of the power strip. I freak out and reach to unplug the pc from the strip only to realize that th cable is all burned and melted. So I threw out that psi cable and used another. Threwvaway power strip also. Booted up fine; temps are all good and all seems fine... has anyone got an idea wth happened?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Which wires exactly?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the power cable that attaches to the psi and an outlet. Internals are all fine.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn droid keeps making p s u say psi. Sry

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayem;15238377
Just the power cable that attaches to the psi and an outlet. Internals are all fine.
Try it with a heavier gauge (thicker) PSU cable, I use one that is about as thick as my pinky finger

Preferably 18AWG

if it was 18AWG and melted (can find out on cable sleeve), then there is a problem elsewhere

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
You say you also threw out the power strip it was plugged into?

Could it be that the strip wasn't properly grounded or rated to push that much amperage?

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89;15238447
You say you also threw out the power strip it was plugged into?

Could it be that the strip wasn't properly grounded or rated to push that much amperage?
Could be grounding issues, or poor power conditioning as well

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that was my first thauggt. It wa a cheaper strip. Said rated for 15 amps. I went from a 5850 to a 580 so I know itvis pushing more power.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could something be causing grounding issues inside?

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayem;15238488
Could something be causing grounding issues inside?
take the wall plate off of the outlet and make sure the ground wire (copper one) is connected properly, if not, cut the power and fix that

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will check. Due to the fact of my pc still functioning after that can I be someewhat sure that my p s u wasn't the culprit?

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmaxGuy;15238719
take the wall plate off of the outlet and make sure the ground wire (copper one) is connected properly, if not, cut the power and fix that
Kill the power *BEFORE* removing the wall plate unless you are an experienced AC electrician.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayem
View Post

Yeah ground wire is all fine and dandy in there, ive been on the pc for an hour now, no problems as of yet. Can anyone recommend me a quality power strip surge protector?

Amazon.com: Belkin 12-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with Phone/Ethernet/Coaxial Protection and Extended Cord: Electronics

seems to have good ratings, and a fair price.

Check out their PureAV linup. Its basically the same, but conditions your power as well. You can often find the 12 outlet models on sale for around 50-60 (though retail is 120)

·
Registered
855 Posts
don't worry, all GTX580's let out sparks and fire in the beginning (it's part of the warm-up, break-in period)

mine was breathing fire, aka Fire-Dragon GTX580's (Skyrim Edition)

only joking

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
I have to invest in a proper suruge protector, a few years ago the transformer outside my house was sparking and the house voltage droped to 33V for an afternoon

things can go so wrong and so expensive

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i went with an APC ups...875w battery backup, i needed to protect my investments haha!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts