Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new CPU for this mobo of mine, but im not sure if theres anything one must do. Is flashing teh BIOS needed/nesasary (spell)?, or can i jsut take my friends advice and rip the batteryout and shove the new CPU in??

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Number 1: Check to see your old motherboards compatablity with a newer cpu.
Your old P4 1.5 requires certain voltage requirements that were higher than what is now available with the newer socket 478 cpu's. I doubt you can place any P4 cpu over 1.8 or 2.0 in thaT MOBO.
Google your mobo for onboard voltages.
Best off upgrading to a newer mobo & cpu.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that. This p4 was jsut a temporary computer (2 years :eek) until i could figure somethign else out. This question was aimed at this 2500M im getting in a few days.

The nature of my question wasnt buying and checking compatablities of procs, it was their installation...

Cheers!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstfrddy

You can't put an AMD cpu in an intel board anyway.

What is that supposed to mean???

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstfrddy

You can't put an AMD cpu in an intel board anyway.

AMD doesn't work in your mobo (never noticed the thread title).

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
When installing an XP-Mobile cpu into a new mobo, you need to enter bios
and manually configure the multiplier and ram fsb.
The bios settings will automatically configure that cpu to approx. 800 mhz (because of the lower voltage requirements used in laptops they were originally designed for).
Vcore voltage should be set at 1.65v, multiplier @ 11 and fsb at 200 (with the higher end NF2 mobos) for starters. That'll make her boot up ok.
You can oc from there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenzo

When installing an XP-Mobile cpu into a new mobo, you need to enter bios
and manually configure the multiplier and ram fsb.
The bios settings will automatically configure that cpu to approx. 800 mhz (because of the lower voltage requirements used in laptops they were originally designed for).
Vcore voltage should be set at 1.65v, multiplier @ 11 and fsb at 200 (with the higher end NF2 mobos) for starters. That'll make her boot up ok.
You can oc from there.

This one os for a 266FSB socket A. running at 14/14.5 x 133, and is meant to be up around 1.45 VCore.

So there is no battery replacement adn stuff incolved? no flashing BIOSs, none of that turd??

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
No flashing required. Changing the bios version for the motherboard might be helpful (after the cpu install) depending on the mobo and age.
What mobo will you be using anyway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts