Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying something else to XP just to try.

I have some questions before i do it though....

1. Can i have both XP and another OS on the same Hardrive or not?
2. will it effect anything in windows?
3. will it show installed programs or will i have to re-install all software if i want to use it.
4. which one do you recommend to try, and...
5. Is there anything else i should know before installing or about installing

I've installed XP heaps so i'm no fool to installing OS like windows.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy
I'm thinking of trying something else to XP just to try.

I have some questions before i do it though....

1. Can i have both XP and another OS on the same Hardrive or not?
2. will it effect anything in windows?
3. will it show installed programs or will i have to re-install all software if i want to use it.
4. which one do you recommend to try, and...
5. Is there anything else i should know before installing or about installing

I've installed XP heaps so i'm no fool to installing OS like windows.
You can initiate a dual boot system for multiple OSs on a single disk, as for one to try, it just depends who iresponds, and hte difficulty of installing is based on the OS chosen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
UBUNTU UBUNTU UBUNTU!!!

The only thing it lacks is history and you wouldn't guess it and the community is very knowledgeable... my linux transition has been so smooth... the guys have unlimited knowledge and answer every question... with Fedora they quickly got mad at me and forced me to read long tutorials that were made by gurus for gurus that made me HATE linux.... but i took the leap to Ubuntu and can safely say windows will not be used except for surround sound gaming as that feature is not included.. yet.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy
So is just about all games and software compatible with window verison or not
WE are talking about linux, most win software will not run in linux, except if you are using WINE.

But if you switch to linux, their large assortment of free highly advanced programs will make you forget about the expensive games that you run on the expensive windows.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy
1. Can i have both XP and another OS on the same Hardrive or not?
Yes through dual booting.

Quote:
2. will it effect anything in windows?
A proper install will not touch nor affect windows in any way.

Quote:
3. will it show installed programs or will i have to re-install all software if i want to use it.
I am not quite sure what you mean. Both operating systems will operate independently as if the other existed. The only interoperability is file sharing across partitions if you choose to enable it. Examples are using documents, songs, videos, pictures etc from the windows partition while on linux as I am doing as we speak by listening to mp3s i downloaded on windows. The reverse is also possible but I have not tried it.

Quote:
4. which one do you recommend to try, and...
As you can see in my sig and prior posts I both use and support Ubuntu as a nearly 100% windows replacement minus the surround sound gaming aspect. I would be glad to help you as much as I can and direct you to help that I can not provide for any distribution you choose, but Ubuntu I can help a smidgeon more from personal experience.

Quote:
5. Is there anything else i should know before installing or about installing
Well be sure to know what you're doing prior to installation because it will make the difference between a smooth install and a complete mistake. Basically the preparation for dual booting is as follows.

1.Defragment the drive you plan to use.
2.Then set aside the linux partition. If you can get ahold of a partioning program I suggest ext3 for the fact that ext2 has caused one problem for me in the past. But I am currently on ext2 and it is by no means a bad thing. This is the safest method I know. Take note of the size of the partition.
3. After than pick a linux distro and burn it to a CD.(this can be done earlier of course).
4. Put the cd in and restart the PC. The disk will be bootable and the rest is pretty self-explanatory. Remember to select the proper partition so that you do not install over your windows partition. Then when it installs you will restart and see if it all worked out.
5. If all is well you will be presented with GRUB at startup which will be configured to automatically boot to linux. If you want to boot to windows key down to it and press ENTER. You now have a dual-booting system.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy
So is just about all games and software compatible with window verison or not
As mfillpot said you will need WINE or CrossOver Office for applications, Cedega by TransGaming(formerly WineX), or other emulation apps. WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. But also as mfill said Linux has many excellent and often superior applications for whatever your need is. The best option, if you are unable to find a solution or emulator is dual booting.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite
As mfillpot said you will need WINE or CrossOver Office for applications, Cedega by TransGaming(formerly WineX), or other emulation apps. WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. But also as mfill said Linux has many excellent and often superior applications for whatever your need is. The best option, if you are unable to find a solution or emulator is dual booting.
Thank you for the credit Setite.

And Sloth, before you designate space on the HDD for Linux for a CD bootable linux distro like Knoppix to get used to the platform.

Many good Linux distros like Knoppix can be downloaded from http://www.linuxiso.org/.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you make partitions on a drive without removing the information on the drive. Is that what the programs above do. Or do i will making a partition wipe the drive (i only have one Hardrive)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
Thank you for the credit Setite.

And Sloth, before you designate space on the HDD for Linux for a CD bootable linux distro like Knoppix to get used to the platform.

Many good Linux distros like Knoppix can be downloaded from http://www.linuxiso.org/.
agreed.. a live cd is a nice no commitment way to see how similar linux is. it will perform considerably slower and will not have the same hardware compatibility because it has to be uncompressed and therefore less can be included. For example the Ubuntu LiveCD only ran 800x600 whereas the regular install automatically ran 1024x768. It will get you used to the way the filesystems work and the basic layout. I personally feel that the fact it can run on an artificial ramdisk is a testament to its efficiency as an operating system. I would love to see windows do the same... Ok its time for me to prepare for another lovely night at work. See you all tomorrow.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy
Can you make partitions on a drive without removing the information on the drive. Is that what the programs above do. Or do i will making a partition wipe the drive (i only have one Hardrive)
partitioning creates a seperate partition(read part). this will become an independent section from the other parts. It will not remove any other information if you defragment the drive first and create the partition out of free space.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top