Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having good luck doing so. I have a base Debian 506 system with no GUI. I've seen a few guides on installing Flux on Debian ... I'm not having good luck. I get an X error and it won't launch.

I'd like to have it boot, automatically, to Fluxbox when I turn on the computer. I am usually SSH'd into it and use samba shared on it. Rarely am I using a desktop environment but I wouldn't mind having one.

Help

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiger View Post
Try another distro like Arch linux or linux from scratch.
That's not really good advice.

Have you gotten X to work with any other DE/WM?

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
do you just want a desktop? It should be just "apt-get install fluxbox", are you using stable/testing/unstable?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Try another distro like Arch linux or linux from scratch.
I like Debian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
That's not really good advice.

Have you gotten X to work with any other DE/WM?
Haven't tried

Quote:

Or try some noob distro like ubuntu
I'm a Solaris admin ... I like to think I'm comfortable. However, I *do* run Ubuntu on my netbook because it's the most friendly installing from USB flash memory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
do you just want a desktop? It should be just "apt-get install fluxbox", are you using stable/testing/unstable?
Tried that, lacking X

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
if your lacking x try "sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg"

If your lacking after that there's another problem. =( Something isn't liking the configuration. =( You on stable/testing/unstable?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently it's something with my Intel X3100 graphics card?
I'm using stable.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Try adding a testing repo and updating the xserver/flux files and see if that helps?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I feel stupid. Apparently it was defaulting to 1280x1024 and the monitor I had it hooked up to can only support 1024x768. Works now

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IBuyJunk
View Post

Well I feel stupid. Apparently it was defaulting to 1280x1024 and the monitor I had it hooked up to can only support 1024x768. Works now

=P I had that happen with a laptop! Though I knew there was a problem...
At least you got it figured out though, it's not always easy knowing what your monitor supports.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well tonight I'm going to give it another go I think. See if I can get anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts