Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install the latest Ubuntu on my Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 ( NETBOOK) , It currently is running windows 7 starter with a couple hidden partitions.

• 30GB partition with all drivers and software
  • 186GB (C:\) With Windows 7 OS installed
  • 14.75GB OEM Partition with my Restore image ( Hidden by default, but appears in the Disk Management )

I want to completely Trash The windows 7 OS and run 100% Ubuntu on the Large partition, however want to keep the 2 Lenovo portions.

Why? I want to keep this factory image in-case I ever want to restore Windows 7 Starter, and the fact that my Laptop is still under warranty..

My question IS, How can I back this up? Or, how can be become usable when I decide I want to restore windows 7??

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Do you have a DVD-RW on it? If so most OEM's provide a program you can use to make recovery discs with the default installation files found on the recovery partition. If so, look into that and then you can just delete all of them and start with a fresh drive. And usually in the case of reinstallation with such recovery images, it'll restore all the partitions including the recovery image one, and software/driver one.

And for the Drivers / Software one, you could just copy the files, and or make it an ISO. Then you'll always have them on a thumbdrive or other storage media of your choice.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Do you have a DVD-RW on it? If so most OEM's provide a program you can use to make recovery discs with the default installation files found on the recovery partition. If so, look into that and then you can just delete all of them and start with a fresh drive. And usually in the case of reinstallation with such recovery images, it'll restore all the partitions including the recovery image one, and software/driver one.
And for the Drivers / Software one, you could just copy the files, and or make it an ISO. Then you'll always have them on a thumbdrive or other storage media of your choice.
Unfortunately does not have a DVD-RW on it, nor do I have an external one....... and what does not make sense is that they DID make software to backup the OS, but there is no option of making an ISO file, or anything... strictly DVDs

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbid_bean View Post

Unfortunately does not have a DVD-RW on it, nor do I have an external one....... and what does not make sense is that they DID make software to backup the OS, but there is no option of making an ISO file, or anything... strictly DVDs
Yeah, unfortunately I ran into the same snag on my Dell as I opted to not get the DVD-RW with it ( they overcharge to hell and back ).

Well, since that isn't an option at this point. I can point you into the right direction to make them into an ISO the way I know how ( through Linux's command line, not sure how comfortable you are with it ). But I also believe there is a normal ( and windows ) solution to making a clone. Just can't remember the name off of the top of my head ( I don't use Windows at all anymore except on my gf's netbook from time to time to fix things ).

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Why not just get a cheep 2nd hdd and use that for linux and keep the stock one windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts