Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am gonna be installing a new cpu cooler the Noctua NH-D14
I just had a question do I have to take out the motherboard my PC case is the Coolermaster Haf 922 and has a cooler retention plate hole on the back ? when I open the other side where the cables are hiden I can see the plate that holds the current cooler

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
No you shouldn't have to, you will be able to mount the retention plate easily. Apparently there is some issue I don't know about. If you have an access hole, I would assume you shouldn't have much of a problem even if it doesn't match up perfectly.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
It really isn't much work, just more of aligning things up correctly.

Just use the anti-static bag that came with your mobo if you want to be safe when installing the cooler.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Unfortunately the cpu window in some mb trays is too small for universal use, so sometimes your backplate will not fit into the window. My D14 fit backplate nicely through the window of my mb tray. But when I lost a part and had to temporarily replace it with a CM Z600R, the new combo AMD/Intel backplate didn't want to fit. I had to wangle it in.

So first of all try putting the backplate in with the mb in place. Since the D14 backplate has no excrescences it will likely fit with no problem. Conceivably you may have to angle it it the way I had to with my CM backplate.

But if the cpu is really out of position you may have to remove your mb. Just take your time, keep a cup for the screws, do it right. In the end it will be worth it - very much so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts