Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyhow, I've just ordered a new hard drive after my old one appears to be dieing, the new hard drive is as follows:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804

I heard samsung was good and was warned vehemently off buying one from Seagate, and due to the raving reviews I ordered it. My question is, once i've installed it and formatted it etc, i'd like to move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one and make it boot drive. Is this just as simple as copying the neccesary files from my old hard drive onto my new one and then setting it to boot in the BIOS?

Or am I going to be shouted at for suggesting something so crude?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Here's what I would do to minimize mistakes:

1) Unplug old drive
2) Install new drive
3) Install Windows
4) Hook back up old drive into different SATA port
5) Transfer documents.

Samsung drives aren't bad, I've been using 2x of the 750GB since mid 2009 without problems (2 members of my 4 disk RAID 5 array).

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
You'd need to modify the MBR to tell it where the files are to boot. A process that's not really worth it. Back up your files and do a fresh install. Furthermore, the drivers installed for your current drive may differ from the new one. This will cause your OS to BSOD when it's time to read off the drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but what I really want according to several searches is cloning. Just to clarify if this is possible i'd like to transfer everything from my old hard drive onto the new one and make it the boot drive with my computer being none-the-wiser. Mainly because I have a lot of crap on my old hard drive 280gb worth of stuff that i'd like to keep installed (programmes). According to some short research this can be done through cloning but you guys probably know better.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TF876
View Post

Thanks for the replies but what I really want according to several searches is cloning. Just to clarify if this is possible i'd like to transfer everything from my old hard drive onto the new one and make it the boot drive with my computer being none-the-wiser. Mainly because I have a lot of crap on my old hard drive 280gb worth of stuff that i'd like to keep installed (programmes). According to some short research this can be done through cloning but you guys probably know better.

The drivers for your SATA controller may be different causing it not to boot.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Here is what you want to do.

1) Clone the data on the old drive onto the new drive.
2) Expand the partition(s) on the new drive from 320GB to 1TB.

To do this you need software like:
You do not need to reinstall Windows.

All drivers will be the same, because drivers are motherboard specific - not HDD specific.

When you finish cloning, change the boot order and verify everything is working okay, before you clear your old drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts