How would I go about installing nVidia drivers on Ubuntu 10.04? I can download a Linux file from nVidia, but I have no idea how to install it.
Originally Posted by TFB
Oh my god. That post above is just terrible. I'm sure it works but it's overly complicated.
Download the file to the desktop. Make sure it's the only NVidia driver on there so you don't get confused.
1. Drop to shell with Ctrl-Alt-F2
2. Login with your name and password.
3. Stop GDM with "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop"
4. Run the shell script with "sudo sh N". Hit tab and let it auto complete the name. Hit enter.
5. Go through the setup wizard. Hit yes to just about everything. Let it install.
6. Start GDM with "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start"
7. Go back into the correct shell with Ctrl-Alt-F7