Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

ok so im replacing my harddrive and installling vista 64 bit again onto a brand new harddrive.

my question is i have my bios set so that it always boots up from the harddisk and when i want to boot from a cd/dvd i push F12(boot menu) on my bios and select the cd rom drive.

should i set it so it boots up from the cd/dvd drive first when installing vista 64 bit or can i just push f12(boot menu)

or does it not matter?
 

·
Dream Chaser
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
Doesn't matter. But I would set it to auto find CD/DVD-ROM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jfizz84
View Post

Doesn't matter. But I would set it to auto find CD/DVD-ROM.

Windows will restart you computer several times while installing. setting it to autofind like suggested would allow you to not have to be there while it is installing to make sure it boots properly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wutsup
View Post

hey

ok so im replacing my harddrive and installling vista 64 bit again onto a brand new harddrive.

my question is i have my bios set so that it always boots up from the harddisk and when i want to boot from a cd/dvd i push F12(boot menu) on my bios and select the cd rom drive.

should i set it so it boots up from the cd/dvd drive first when installing vista 64 bit or can i just push f12(boot menu)

or does it not matter?

It's a boot sequence. If it doesn't find a boot record on the hard-disk, it should automatically move to the next device - your optical drive - and boot from there.

You can press F12 to boot from the optical drive if it somehow doesn't boot from the install DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfizz84 View Post
Doesn't matter. But I would set it to auto find CD/DVD-ROM.
I would disable the boot menu & boot from the hard drive every time after you're done setting up your O.S., because of security reasons, and also lock your bios with an administrative password as well.

Believe me if someone steals your computer and you have 2 locks on your computer they will be paying more money than they would have liked to get it removed. If your computer is only worth $1-300 then it is a SERIOUS deterrent to thieves.

Furthermore, it will prevent people who hate you secretly from walking up to your computer and booting from a boot disc to access your files! And password protecting your hard drive is a smart thing to do.

Just my 2 cents..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecubemaster View Post
Windows will restart you computer several times while installing. setting it to autofind like suggested would allow you to not have to be there while it is installing to make sure it boots properly.
i installed vista before without setting first boot device to dvd rom drive and i think it restarted a couple times when installing but i never had to push f12 again and manually select the optical drive.

i guess ill just leave it so my first boot device is my harddrive and just manually select the optical drive when i install vista.

it should install exactly the same as if the first boot device was my optical drive right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
yes, As was stated in a previous post. You should be good to go either way.

Quote:
It's a boot sequence. If it doesn't find a boot record on the hard-disk, it should automatically move to the next device - your optical drive - and boot from there.

You can press F12 to boot from the optical drive if it somehow doesn't boot from the install DVD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecubemaster View Post
Windows will restart you computer several times while installing. setting it to autofind like suggested would allow you to not have to be there while it is installing to make sure it boots properly.
Yes but it saves the setup info on the HDD, the cd can only auto-boot into the initial setup as CDs/DVDs cannot be dynamic. That means that they cannot store setup information, the information has to be ran from a dynamic source such as a hard drive. And no, ram can't do this either as every re-set it's wiped. =)

I don't remember who started telling people they need to have the CD boot priority set but it's another myth. I do however set it myself just cause I hate going into and out of my bios. It's that and the fact that I'm very forgetful, yes I'll even forget to press F11 (my computer) even right after I've restarted and unplugged hard drives... All that work and so easily side tracked, oh well! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
I would disable the boot menu & boot from the hard drive every time after you're done setting up your O.S., because of security reasons, and also lock your bios with an administrative password as well.

Believe me if someone steals your computer and you have 2 locks on your computer they will be paying more money than they would have liked to get it removed. If your computer is only worth $1-300 then it is a SERIOUS deterrent to thieves.

Furthermore, it will prevent people who hate you secretly from walking up to your computer and booting from a boot disc to access your files! And password protecting your hard drive is a smart thing to do.

Just my 2 cents..

Bios passwords are useless when property is stolen as there is almost always a backdoor password or a physical switch. Either way a reset of the cmos would disable the bios password anyways (for most systems).

http://www.articlesbase.com/security...d-1540393.html

Also if you can have physical access to any computer there are numerous admin password resets, that or use a LiveCD (win or Linux) and just access the user files.

The idea here is, if a person gets physical access to your computer a password won't do crap. There really only let you know if your computer has been recently accessed by somebody else other than you, though that's not even the case any more. =( I will admit it's a small deterrent but nothing like it used to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecubemaster View Post
Windows will restart you computer several times while installing. setting it to autofind like suggested would allow you to not have to be there while it is installing to make sure it boots properly.
everyone else here says it doesnt matter if its set to auto cd find or set to manual.

so what are you talking about lol?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Yes but it saves the setup info on the HDD, the cd can only auto-boot into the initial setup as CDs/DVDs cannot be dynamic. That means that they cannot store setup information, the information has to be ran from a dynamic source such as a hard drive. And no, ram can't do this either as every re-set it's wiped. =)

I don't remember who started telling people they need to have the CD boot priority set but it's another myth. I do however set it myself just cause I hate going into and out of my bios. It's that and the fact that I'm very forgetful, yes I'll even forget to press F11 (my computer) even right after I've restarted and unplugged hard drives... All that work and so easily side tracked, oh well! lol

Bios passwords are useless when property is stolen as there is almost always a backdoor password or a physical switch. Either way a reset of the cmos would disable the bios password anyways (for most systems).

http://www.articlesbase.com/security...d-1540393.html

Also if you can have physical access to any computer there are numerous admin password resets, that or use a LiveCD (win or Linux) and just access the user files.

The idea here is, if a person gets physical access to your computer a password won't do crap. There really only let you know if your computer has been recently accessed by somebody else other than you, though that's not even the case any more. =( I will admit it's a small deterrent but nothing like it used to be.
Technically speaking you are correct, however, you forget I was referring to the would be thieves (who are usually pretty stOOpid), they wouldn't be able to reset a password usually. Therefore they are going to have to pay someone to do it, which in turn won't be cheap, especially in the case of the Bios Password.

Furthermore a Bios Password on a Laptop is NOT always breakable, in fact in some cases you MUST send it back to the manufacturer in order to fix the issue, so if you couldn't prove you were the rightful owner, the laptop would be worthless outside of parts to a Tech, who will charge you if he can remove the password or not, lol..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
hey guys, when you install vista, it automatically installs in NTFS format right?
Windows uses NTFS, I know that's not directly answering your question, because in truth you could choose another partition type, but I don't think you can do it from a Windows Installation (XP to 7) DVD or CD, so NTFS is what windows will use by default.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,819 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by _GTech
View Post

Furthermore a Bios Password on a Laptop is NOT always breakable, in fact in some cases you MUST send it back to the manufacturer in order to fix the issue, so if you couldn't prove you were the rightful owner, the laptop would be worthless outside of parts to a Tech, who will charge you if he can remove the password or not, lol..

Well yes your first point has some merit, though we shouldn't assume thieves as uneducated. Times are changing and thieves are getting smarter, this is in part because you have to be smarter to get stuff but lets stray away from the psychology of this. lol I'm not taking criminal Psych and don't want to either. =P

Now this part is kind of true, the thing is a lot of laptops have a physical reset switch but it's kind of hard to figure out. Some of them are tied to various ports on the motherboard, such as the AGP port. I remember resetting a bios on a laptop using 6 or 7 different AGP pins and booting with paperclips in it, only then would the bios reset and I could boot the damn thing. My aunt had a password and gave us the laptop, unfortunately it was older than a dinosaur and wasn't much use to me. =P
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top