Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new computer is all put together but i have no experience with sata. What do I need to do to get my hard drive to work? It says ntldr not found or something.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderer26

My new computer is all put together but i have no experience with sata. What do I need to do to get my hard drive to work? It says ntldr not found or something.

I think you need some third party drivers or something (tell me if im wrong)

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
At the very beginning of a Windows XP install you need to hit F6 when it asks you if you need to install 3rd party or Raid drivers. It will later prompt you for a floppy with the SATA drivers on it. You must have a floppy drive.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it wont let me do anything, i try to hit delete to enter bios or delete for setup and it just keeps going, and no mention of xp install. ntldr is missing or something.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Is your XP cd bootable? If so reinstall and the first screen that it shows you says at the bottom of the screen something to the effect of "Press F6 if you need to install 3rd Party or Raid drivers."

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalphreak

Is your XP cd bootable? If so reinstall and the first screen that it shows you says at the bottom of the screen something to the effect of "Press F6 if you need to install 3rd Party or Raid drivers."

To clarify a bit it's on the loading blue screen before anything is done and it will come up for less then 5 seconds. If you miss it reboot and try again.

Also get the newest SATA drivers from chipset maker.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalphreak
Those arent it. Those are just your chipset drivers. A little different than the SATA drivers.
They include the RAID drivers for that chipset at least acording to the site.

include nVidia raid and LAN driver

·
Registered
271 Posts
No problem they like to hide the important information just to mess with people.

Again go to nVidia's site the usually have newer drivers.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Wait... I think the SATA controller driver is a separate driver from nvidia. Its gonna have to be like a silicon raid driver which nvidia doesnt provide.

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderer26

If you're getting a 'ntldr not found' error, either you are not booting of the CD (change the priority in BIOS), or your windows CD has errors on it and you can't load up the windows installation program.

Also make sure you don't have a floppy in the A: drive that you forgot about

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the info, i was just called by the woman to watch a movie but am gonna try a bit more.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ouch, i had unplugged the cdrom ide cable to round earlier in the day and forgot. Windows started to load but had already taken nearly an hour. This is not what i was hoping for from the raptor. I didnt install any sata drivers from the company but it was clearly working. Anyone know why so dang slow?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going to try to instal xp home again, if anyone knows why it would take 2+ hours let me know. It was slow as crap yesterday, everything seemed normal but when it said 39 minutes till install instead of going from 39 minutes to 26 or something in 2 miutes it took 10-15 minutes to go from 39-38!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Xp home is still taking a ridiculous amount of time to install. I noticed when it is booting my raptor drive is listed as the third ide device dont know if thats normal. Does anyone have any clues?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts