Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Do you mean you are going to take the HDD out of the external housing?

And you can only install Windows on an empty partition. So yes, if it only has filled partitions you need to format 1.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah okay, so it automatically formats it, i thought u are able to install the OS on the HDD without formatting it, because as i remember on XP, it asks u if u want to delete the Partition or install XP onto the partition, u delete it and recreate it to format it, or else it'll somehow like create a Windows_0 or something like that. =)

Edit: And my HDD is currently single partition, but i got a 1TB HDD which i can transfer some files into before i format it to format, but through USB both sides, things would be slow for me to transfer 370GB of files. =)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

When you install Windows, it will automatically reformat the drive. If you have things you want to save, you could partition it and install Windows on the partition thus leaving the data on the drive in tact.

It's not true that you must format the hard drive and uninstall the Windows. You can do the Window installation in a desktop. Just insert the CD-rom to your DVD drive and it should automatically start to installating the Windows, but I would recommend to format and reinstall the Windows (to get a clean hard drive and Windows and be sure that it will work better for a while).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts